Question Cloning 1TB HDD to 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD. Some questions on process.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hunter1801a

Prominent
May 8, 2019
They are both worded kind of similar, leading me to believe I have to enable both as AHCI:

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode
Enables or disables RAID for the SATA controllers or configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode.

• Disabled: Disables RAID for the SATA controllers and configures the SATA controllers to PATA mode. (Default)
  • AHCI: Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug.
  • RAID: Enables RAID for the SATA controllers.
Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip)
Allows you to decide whether to configure the SA TA controller to AHCI mode.

• IDE Configures the SATA controller to PATA mode. (Default)
  • AHCI Configures the SATA controller to AHCI mode.
Note: In case you need to set this item to AHCI mode and want to install Windows XP onto the AHCI hard drive, you have to install the SATA controller driver during the OS installation. Refer to Chapter 5, "Configuring SATA Hard Drive(s)," for how to make a driver diskette and install the driver.

Edit: Actually, does "Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip)" refer to the non-intel chip? The instructions for this specify it as the JMB322 SATA Controller. The instructions for the SATA RAID/AHCI Mode are specific to the ICH10R SATA Controller.

Edit 2: Answered my own question after reading a bit. I'll be enabling the first option, not the Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode, which controls the non-Intel SATA ports.

Last edited:
Well for one I'll probably have to buy Win10 again. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. Fresh install might be best since I've had this drive for a while and done a lot of things on it.
If WIn10 was ever installed/activated on that system (Despite it's potential Win7 upgrade origins), there is no need to buy it just because a reinstall is needed. Simply download it from MS using their Media Creation tool to an 8 GB flash drive, and boot from it, install it. It should reactivate without issue.

(the actual installation to an SSD from USB flash drive media takes about 4-5 minutes these days, a few more minutes for driver packages if you already have them saved somewhere, an 30 minutes of updates, etc.. Then, reinstall of your apps, time for which varies, but, goes pretty quickly if you have a fast connection)

Last edited:

hunter1801a

Prominent
May 8, 2019
And just to wrap this up (solved above issues and running fine now):

1. I'm going to be plugging in my old HDD to transfer files then eventually to reformat and use as storage. Will the drive still be recognized now that I am in AHCI? I assume so, since it only affects booting?
  2. If I want to test the old HDD BY ITSELF, would I go back into BIOS, change from AHCI to IDE, then boot up like normal? Then the reverse when I go back to using my SSD?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS