Question Cloning a LapTop Computer?

sundancer268

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
I just bought a Framework Computer and my wife likes it so much, I just ordered one for her with delivery in October. I bought and installed on my computer Windows 11 Pro and Office 2021 and some other programs and I am in the process of still setting up my computer. When I ordered the exact same computer for my wife I also purchased an additional copy of Windows 11Pro and Office 2021. How do I clone my computer to my wife's machine and yet get the proper licenses on her machine. I really don't want to have to install everything all over again for her. It takes a long time and I am afraid I will forget some program we only use maybe once a year or so. The computer configuration I have and have ordered for her is below. Thanks, Ed

Configuration:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1280P
Storage: 2TB - WD_BLACK™ SN850 NVMe™
Memory: 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3200
Customization:
Keyboard: US English
Expansion Cards:
4 USB-C
3 USB-A
1 HDMI
1 DP
1 MicroSD
accessories:
Power Adapter - US/Canada

So, this is the recommended process for cloning using Macrium reflect, which is your best option if you don't want to pay a bunch of money just to do the same thing you can do for free, but, unless you have the ability to attach multiple drives to these laptops in order to perform the clone you are going to need a desktop system in order to do it.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...using-macrium-reflect-7.3691591/post-22239029

For most laptops, to the best of my knowledge, if multiple storage devices aren't supported then there is really no way to clone to another drive as both drives need to be connected at the same time. And since these are NVME drives, it needs to be a desktop with at least three M.2 slots, if the desktop is using one already, or two of them if it's using a SATA drive for the OS. I don't really see any other way.

Honestly, just doing a clean install is far more efficient, will ensure that if there is ANY difference in hardware between the two units that it is accounted for and does not cause any problems and eliminates the need to find a suitable desktop and go through the (Probably) bigger hassle of doing it that way.

USAFRet

Titan
For laptops, you can do this with an Image.
(we can go into details if you really want)

But really, I would just install whatever needs to be done on the new system, rather tan trying to make it an exact copy.

FAR less hassle and pretty much no chance of licensing conflicts.
Remember...its not just the OS which will be a license issue, but all your other software.

For most laptops, to the best of my knowledge, if multiple storage devices aren't supported then there is really no way to clone to another drive as both drives need to be connected at the same time. And since these are NVME drives, it needs to be a desktop with at least three M.2 slots, if the desktop is using one already, or two of them if it's using a SATA drive for the OS. I don't really see any other way.
You can get an external m.2 enclosure if you want to go this route.
It will also be a good thing to have for general managing of files or if a laptop fails or even just if windows gets messed up to take your files restore an image or whatever.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=m.2+exte...1:1SlRDUO23PMJ1hOuzVyOyK3RanF3xz1/i+LEzUdhfnE

sundancer268

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
I guess I will have to get an M2 drive enclosure, forgot I am not dealing with my old SATA type drives. All the other programs I am installing either are free like FireFox, Adobe Reader etc or I have a Multi Computer license like Norton 360. There are to many other minor programs to list. I would like to set up programs like Outlook or Word just once with all the customizations set up once and be identical on each machine. I find jumping from my old desktop to my old laptop with the Task Bar Ribbons being different etc to be frustrating. I do have a Desktop, it just is old enough to not have a M2 drive capability. I am intending to rebuild it when the 14th Gen Intel chips hit the market. These Laptops were bought to replace my HP LapTop which has the Sandybridge chip. Will I have to remove the M2 drive that has all programs to duplicate to the bare drive or will that be copied from the Laptop over the USB port?

USAFRet

Titan
No, you do not need to buy an M.2 enclosure.
This can be done in other ways.

Do you have some other storage device, of sufficient size to hold the contents of the C drive?
All it needs is the empty space.
Some external drive, or even a large flash drive.

sundancer268

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
I do have a WD 6T USB 2.0 Drive I can empty, I just don't have any way to do anything with the M2 Drive the Framework Laptop uses. They only come with a single M2 Slot so I need someway to copy the system on my first Framework to the new Laptop I was hoping with the USB ports after I assemble the new computer.

USAFRet

Titan
I do have a WD 6T USB 2.0 Drive I can empty, I just don't have any way to do anything with the M2 Drive the Framework Laptop uses. They only come with a single M2 Slot so I need someway to copy the system on my first Framework to the new Laptop I was hoping with the USB ports after I assemble the new computer.
1x m.2 slot with an Image

Assuming you have another drive with sufficient free space to hold the entirety of your current m.2 drive:

1. Download and install Macrium Reflect
  2. Run that, and create a Rescue CD or USB (you'll use this later). "Other Tasks"
  3. In the Macrium client, create an Image to some other drive. External USB HDD, maybe. Select all partitions. This results in a file of xxxx.mrimage
  4. Connect this external drive to the other laptop
  5. Boot up from the Rescue USB you created earlier.
  6. Restore (on the toolbar), and tell it where the Image is that you created in step 3, and which drive to apply it to...the new m.2
  7. Go, and wait until it finishes.
  8. That's all...this should work.

USAFRet

Titan
How will I change the License numbers for the Windows and Office programs once I install that drive in the new computer? I don't want any issues when we are both using our computers.
By doing what was suggested initially....a fresh install of your applications.

Also, the OS license.
Do these systems come with Windows installed and licensed?

You will have to change the license key on the second system.

Reactions: Darkbreeze

sundancer268

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
No, I bought both computers with out any operating system. I purchased a Retail copy of Windows 11 Pro and Office 2021 Pro for each computers with separate license numbers for each program.