[SOLVED] Cloning a SSD to another SSD, new to this, would appreciate help.

Chris David

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Title.

I got a new 500 Gig SSD (870 EVO) and I am here to ask help on how to transfer my existing OS + Files from my current 250 GB SSD (850 EVO) both are SATA. I don't want to spend a lot of time re-installing drivers etc so I just want to copy my files and Windows as it is to my new SSD

Solution
Title.

I got a new 500 Gig SSD (870 EVO) and I am here to ask help on how to transfer my existing OS + Files from my current 250 GB SSD (850 EVO) both are SATA. I don't want to spend a lot of time re-installing drivers etc so I just want to copy my files and Windows as it is to my new SSD
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off...

Chris David

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Get cloning software.
I use Aomei Backupper.
Macrium Reflect is popular.
Both are free.
Install one on your current drive.
Power down.
Add the new SATA SSD to an available SATA port.
Power up.
At this point...you shouldn't have to go to the BIOS...but I do...and I recommend doing it right away on first boot after you add a drive to make sure the new drive is recognized and also to make sure your old drive is still the boot drive.

Then save and exit.

It should boot to Windows.

Run the cloning software and clone your drive to the new drive. (Use the instruction for whatever cloning tool you use).

Do you want to keep the 250 GB drive in the system?

USAFRet

Titan
Title.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

(Ignore this section if using the Samsung tool)
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
(end ignore)

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution

Chris David

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Get cloning software.
I use Aomei Backupper.
Macrium Reflect is popular.
Both are free.
Install one on your current drive.
Power down.
Add the new SATA SSD to an available SATA port.
Power up.
At this point...you shouldn't have to go to the BIOS...but I do...and I recommend doing it right away on first boot after you add a drive to make sure the new drive is recognized and also to make sure your old drive is still the boot drive.

Then save and exit.

It should boot to Windows.

Run the cloning software and clone your drive to the new drive. (Use the instruction for whatever cloning tool you use).

Do you want to keep the 250 GB drive in the system?

the 850 EVO will be wiped clean and be put to use to host a MC Server. The 870 EVO will be used as a daily driver after that.

Chris David

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
OK so after you make the clone....power down....remove the 850.....power up...go to the BIOS and make sure the 870 is the boot drive....save and exit.

That part wouldn't be an issue at all, the 850 will be just taken out and put in my second PC. Only the 870 will be inside which the PC would boot to since my HDDs don't have any OS on them. Thanks.

Chris David

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
You want the "old drive" to be the boot drive...because the "new drive" is empty at this point.
I don't think a new drive would automatically take up the mantle of Boot Drive, so there's no reason to do that. Thanks again.

Old Drive would still be the boot drive unless I manually change it even if I put in a new drive.

That part wouldn't be an issue at all, the 850 will be just taken out and put in my second PC. Only the 870 will be inside which the PC would boot to since my HDDs don't have any OS on them. Thanks.
I've had situations where I've had drives that were supposed to be the boot drives....all of a sudden NOT be the boot drive when I've added or removed drives....so I like to double check.

Ralston18

Titan
This (from Post #3)

"do I need to backup any important files before starting this ? "

Yes. 2 x to different locations off of the current host drive(s).

Verify backups are recoverable and readable.

You should always be doing backups as an ongoing process. Along with doing so before starting "anything".

Reactions: rgd1101

TRENDING THREADS