[SOLVED] Cloning bricked/failed NVMe?

May 18, 2022
So for some reason(probably heat) my NVMe drive bricked and is read only. I have gotten a new one, same size, and since my OS was on the failed drive I would love to clone it and get my environment back.

I searched a bit and all I can find is guides on how to clone (NVMe) drive, not if I should. My worry is that by cloning I will also copy the part that keeps track of write cycles, the write protection, etc, which I would obviously not want.

So my question is: Can I clone a drive like this without copying the issues? Is it just not a smart thing to do or is it pretty safe? Am I risking the new drive by cloning a failed/bricked drive to it?

Thanks in advance

Solution
D
you should be able to clone it and it should run fine. the part that keeps the cycles is in the electronics of the drive itself, therefore, after cloning the new drive will be just fine and operational.
D

Deleted member 14196

you should be able to clone it and it should run fine. the part that keeps the cycles is in the electronics of the drive itself, therefore, after cloning the new drive will be just fine and operational.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution
May 18, 2022

I figured that would be the case, but better safe than sorry. Thanks for the quick reply :)