[SOLVED] Cloning drive to smaller ssd

crippsy99

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2013
Ive taken the plunge and ordered a new 1Tb NVMe m.2 drive to replace my old 2tb hybrid hdd. Got the hardware required, but last major upgrade I made I kept all my original system HDD and added a couple of newer and bigger HDD's for storage.
Trouble is now, I want the OS (Win10) on the new drive, but none of the other stuff on that drive and not sure how to go about it. I have 1.27Tb of data on the C drive, which clearly won't fit onto a formatted 1Tb m.2..but is there a way of getting just the needed stuff over to the new drive and keeping the other stuff on that older HDD, without somehow moving all the unneeded files to say an external hard drive which might take quite a while, or reinstalling the OS new (and effectively starting a new system almost)?
Not sure if ive even got the original install disk as I started off with Windows 7 many years ago, then had the free upgrade to Windows 10. Guessing I could just create a new windows disk though if I need too though?

Edit to add: Ive got Acronis true image for crucial downloaded (but not installed yet), would this work for a Western Digital SSD, and how come you can download it from crucial for free, but google or amazon searching says the software costs money?

Solution
You can't clone 'only the OS'.
All or nothing. There is no function or application to split things out.

To clone into a 1TB drive, the actual consumed space needs to be below 800GB.

TRENDING THREADS