Cloning hard disk to larger capacity reduced size of target

gwild

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
I used an imaging program (R-Drive) to create a byte for byte image of my laptop SATA hard drive (60GB) to an internal WD Scorpio Blue SATA drive in a USB enclosure (320GB).
This meant that it copied not only the C: Windows and D: data drives, but also the boot partition.

This worked perfectly and I could boot off this new disk when I took it from the enclosure and inserted it into the laptop in place of the 60GB disk, but I believe it wrote over the part of the disk that holds drive geometry as the 320GB drive now only thinks it is 54GB (the total of the copied data)- R-Drive, Partition Magic and Windows' Disk Management all believe that the 320GB disk now only has a capacity of 54GB, so will only make partitions to be formatted to that size or smaller.

How can I re-set this to 320GB (or even 300GB etc.)? I deleted the whole disk including the partitions in a bid to try and recover the space, to no avail!

Because this is all a copy, my original hard disk still works to copy from so I can have another go when I sort it out.

My final goal is to have my operating system working on the larger drive, with the extra room to grow into and the 60GB disk kept as a backup, but I would be happy just to have my 320GB of space back...

Many thanks.

Using XP SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 9400

gwild

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
In Computer management/ Disk management, it says disk 0 is a 54GB drive (the internal one), disk 1 is 54GB drive (the one that should be 300GB).
I'm not sure how to get the BIOS to tell me, will it work as it's an external, USB connected drive?
thanks!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have not used R-Drive before, but I'm pretty sure you can do this with Acronis True Image. You should be able to download for free a trial version of it. That is, assuming you are willing to start over and re-clone to the new 250 GB unit, destroying everything on it now.

With Acronis True Image you can clone a Source Drive to a Destination Drive, including making the Destination the new bootable drive, AND you can set the size of the destination's cloned volume. So you could clone the C: drive (partition) to whatever size you want (say, the original size of 54 GB, or maybe with a little spare space like 80GB).

AFTER doing that, you go back into Acronis and clone the second partition (your old D: drive) to the new unit in its Unallocated Space. Again you can control the size of the cloned drive. In your case my guess is you want to make the data clone as large as possible - use up all the Unallocated Space.

Maybe you could do this also in R-Drive, and just missed noticing the option to adjust the Destination Volume size. But if not, take a look at Acronis.

If it was booting properly you should have been able to use Partition Magic to expand the partition to allocate the entire HDD?

indexster

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

indexster

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
ACRONIS and HP and COMPACT with a D:\RECOVERY FAT THEY "TACKED" ON C:\

Ray:
Once I deleted the HP recovery partion and was then able to have Acronis see the hard disk and was able to image the drive. Does anyone know how to hide the recovery partion or to get ...

1.)GHEEZ RAY? I'D JUST LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO GET RID OF THE D: RECOVERY ?! I HAVE ALL THE WINDOWS ORIGINAL SOFTWARE AND DON'T NEED IT THERE
2.) IT'S REALLY MESSING UP MY ACRONIS CLONES !
3.) WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO DELETE DRIVE D: RECOVERY IN FAT OFF OF MY C: DRIVE
WITHOUT EFFECTING MY PROGRAMS AND DATA ON c:

Dave in Atlanta

Dell places their own custom code in the MBR. This code calls additional code in LBA 3 which then truncates the drive.

You need to replace Dell's code with Microsoft code using FIXMBR from the Recovery Console. Then use HDAT2 or HDD Capacity Restore Tool to restore your drive's native capacity. You will then see the remaining space as "unallocated" in Disk Management.

See the following thread for a more detailed explanation:
http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Internal-ATA-and-Serial-ATA/Acronis-Image/m-p/48886#M19133

TRENDING THREADS