[SOLVED] Cloning hard drive to another hard drive

bubyy_tomshardware

Reputable
Apr 27, 2016
Hello.

Will the files lose their dates when they are cloned to the new hard drive?

Also, I am cloning a hard drive that doesn't have an OS, just pictures, etc. Could you guys link me the best tutorial out there?

Thank You!

Solution
Instead of "cloning" I would recommend just a copy/paste from old to new.
And depending on the folder structure, don't grab it all at once. Some subset of folders from old to new, and then the next subset.
This way, you can know when/if some files fail due to drive corruption.

A clone operation may do the whole thing, mostly. Ignoring any bad sectors, which you won't know about until much later.

After that, all that needs happen is the new drive ends up wit the same drive letter as the old drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello.

Will the files lose their dates when they are cloned to the new hard drive?

Also, I am cloning a hard drive that doesn't have an OS, just pictures, etc. Could you guys link me the best tutorial out there?

Thank You!
Details about your system please.
Old drive, new drive, etc, etc.

A "clone" should result in the new drive being exactly the same as the old drive, just on a new device.
Same file dates, etc.

bubyy_tomshardware

Reputable
Apr 27, 2016
Current hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
New hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

The OS is on my 120GB SSD.

I have to clone the files because the current hard drive is 7 years old and it's dying. In Hard Disk Sentinel it says it's only got 13% health.

USAFRet

Titan
Instead of "cloning" I would recommend just a copy/paste from old to new.
And depending on the folder structure, don't grab it all at once. Some subset of folders from old to new, and then the next subset.
This way, you can know when/if some files fail due to drive corruption.

A clone operation may do the whole thing, mostly. Ignoring any bad sectors, which you won't know about until much later.

After that, all that needs happen is the new drive ends up wit the same drive letter as the old drive.

Solution