Cloning HDD to SSD from system image

i6pwr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
I have two Acer Aspire laptops with a single HDD bay, going to upgrade to a 860 EVO SSD.

I dont have a SATA to USB cable, but I have a WD 3TB external drive to copy the drive to first via USB.

My question is, can I clone the existing drive from saving a system image on the WD external drive? I would use either Macrium or Easeus.

I'm not able to attach the new SSD until I save the existing drive, so no direct swap.

Sorry if this sounds basic, but trying to clone without directly going from old drive to new drive...don't have the necessary cable...trying to do this tonight.

Thanks.

i6pwr

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
So I messed around and didn't need any 3rd party downloads.

In case anybody needs to know...I created a recovery disc, and created an image on the external HD. Leave the CD in the drive and the external HD connected to the USB

Press F2 when you see the Acer logo, highlight CD under boot sequence, save and continue.

Once it finally boots, choose the keyboard layout, then click the troubleshoot tab, then click system image recovery tab. Your external drive will show and the rest is self explanatory.

You will see the "select a system image backup" your external drive should be in the box, click next. Then the nest screen will be "choose additional restore options" click next.

Then "your computer will be restored from the following system image". Your external drive should be in the box, then click finish.

Worked without any issues.