[SOLVED] Cloning hdd to ssd. Need help

Jack977

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Hey i am a total noob and i am stuck. So i bought an ssd to speed up my desktop (crucial bx500 480gb) and i followed a video on youtube where they use aomei backupper standard to clone the hdd over to the ssd with a usb to sata adapter. This was very easy and all was going well, the cloning finished, i shut down the pc and swapped out the hdd for the ssd and it booted fine and everything worked.

But then after i shut down the pc and tried turning it back on i get an error saying something like select proper boot device. So i go into the bios and make sure the ssd is showing up properly and that it's selected as boot option 1 but still when i restart it says select proper boot device. So i swap the ssd back out for the hdd and go into the bios and notice that there are 2 options. One just says the hdd and the other is windows boot manager followed by the name of the hdd, when just the hdd is selected as boot option 1 i get the same thing select proper boot device but when windows boot manager is option 1 it boots up and works fine.

The weird thing is after i boot up using the hdd and select windows boot manager then turn off the pc and swap out the hdd for the ssd, when i go into the bios it shows 2 options the same as the hdd, ssd and windows boot manager ssd. And the same thing it boots fine when i choose windows boot manager until i turn off pc and start up again then it says select proper boot device and the windows boot manager option is gone from the bios. I've done this multiple times, after booting from the hdd i can swap it out for the ssd and it works fine but only until i turn it off.

So i am confused. Any advice? Thank you

Solution
it sounds like it didn't "clone" all of the partitions properly.
reinstalling or repairing Windows on the SSD should fix this.

with the HD disconnected;
load a Windows install/repair media and select a repair option. this should fix the Windows 10 partitions, startup data, etc and in turn the boot issues.
it sounds like it didn't "clone" all of the partitions properly.
reinstalling or repairing Windows on the SSD should fix this.

with the HD disconnected;
load a Windows install/repair media and select a repair option. this should fix the Windows 10 partitions, startup data, etc and in turn the boot issues.

Solution