[SOLVED] Cloning HDD to SSD

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
I have a windows SSD and 1TB HDD of miscellaneous files like Steam etc.

I'm buying a tb SSD and I wonder if I can clone the entire HDD (does not contain boot files) to the new SSD without having any sorts of registery issues

Or is it safer to reinstall everything ?(Besides windows)

thanks in advance

Solution
No problem!

For a secondary drive, the only considerations is that the folder structure remains the same, and the drive letter is the same.

You can either clone, or a simple copy/paste from one to the other.
Swap drive letters around so that the new drive ends up with the same drive letter as the original.
Done.

Windows will not care, except that what used to live on the HDD is now SSD fast...;)

USAFRet

Titan
I have a windows SSD and 1TB HDD of miscellaneous files like Steam etc.

I'm buying a tb SSD and I wonder if I can clone the entire HDD (does not contain boot files) to the new SSD without having any sorts of registery issues

Or is it safer to reinstall everything ?(Besides windows)

thanks in advance
You're referring to moving the contents of the secondary HDD to a similar size secondary SSD?

USAFRet

Titan
No problem!

For a secondary drive, the only considerations is that the folder structure remains the same, and the drive letter is the same.

Swap drive letters around so that the new drive ends up with the same drive letter as the original.
Done.

Windows will not care, except that what used to live on the HDD is now SSD fast...;)

Solution

buckshot187

Honorable
Jul 11, 2018
No problem!

Done.

thanks! needed the reassurance

solved

Sep 3, 2019
No problem!

Done.

Does swapping letters really work with no problem?
And I swap them while using windows on HDD normally?!