[SOLVED] Cloning HDD to SSD

Taytotom83

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Hello there!

I am looking to retire my old 1TB HDD and replace it with a 2TB SSD. The OS is installed on a secondary SSD that is only 256gb so I don't need that to be transferred. I only need to completely clone the contents of the HDD to the SSD. Are there any free programs around that one can use for such a purpose?

Solution
Hello there!

I am looking to retire my old 1TB HDD and replace it with a 2TB SSD. The OS is installed on a secondary SSD that is only 256gb so I don't need that to be transferred. I only need to completely clone the contents of the HDD to the SSD. Are there any free programs around that one can use for such a purpose?
If this is only a secondary drive, no cloning needed.
Simple copy/paste to the new drive, swap drive letters around so that the new drive has the same drive letter as the old one did.
Done.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello there!

If this is only a secondary drive, no cloning needed.
Simple copy/paste to the new drive, swap drive letters around so that the new drive has the same drive letter as the old one did.
Done.

Solution
If you own a Sandisk or WD drive, an older version of Acronis True image is available (highly recommend)
Macrium Reflect works also. Clonezilla is another utility.

Windows 7 has image backup and restore as well, that's worked surprisingly well - have done that many times creating a repair CD and using an external HDD as the restore source to the new SSD.

Hello there!

Last edited: