Cloning/Imaging SSD to SSD on a Laptop with only 1 SSD bay

therealjackoom

Prominent
Oct 27, 2017
So, my laptop has a 128GB SSD (msata mini half size) and a 1TB HDD (regular 2,5 sata).

I just bought a 256GB SSD and want to clone or image my old SSD and swap the smaller with the new one.

My laptop will then have 256GB plus 1TB. Now, 128GB is C: (windows and games), 1TB is just media storage (it has a "windows image" I created)

I have a 32GB usb stick, formatted as a recovery drive, don't want to use it in case of something going wrong, had to use it already cause I was trying to delete recovery partition, and I have external HDDs (if needed for cloning or imaging).

The other thing is that I have to open the laptop (hard to replace SSD).

What I thought was using recovery drive (usb stick) with an image I will save on HDD, swap SSDs and recover from image? Then I will have to expand the partitions, right? Is it feasible? I read about boot order, can it mess up?

People here talked about Macrium but the thing is I only have 2 slots with different ports, don't want to get an adapter.

Reactions: atin_agarwal

srdowns

Great
Jun 7, 2018
If you use Macrium, you can store the image on your hard drive. Using your rescue USB flash drive that you created in Macrium, and booting from it after you have installed your new SSD, you can then find the drive image that you created from Macrium and stored on your hard disk and restore it to your new SSD.

TRENDING THREADS