[SOLVED] Cloning/Migrating OS SSD to M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, as easy as it looks?

deusvolt

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hi,

As always, thanks in advance for any assistance.
So I want some extra storage and thought I could also increase speed a little.

The idea is get a new M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe (between 250GB-1TB) and clone/migrate my OS SSD to that.

This frees up the old 250GB SSD for games, whilst also making any OS-related calculations run even faster. I'll also have loads of spare space for files and videos etc on the M.2.

Will it be reasonably hassle free to clone/migrate Win10 to the new M.2 Drive? I think I need to make sure the software I use can do a Bootable clone, that copies all the hidden boot stuff too.
I know NVMe can sometimes not play well with games, but the games will mostly stay on 2.5" SSDs so I'm hoping that won't be an issue.

My rig is:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
B450 AORUS PRO-CF (AM4)
16GB RAM DDR4
Radeon RX 580 4GB
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD)
PNY CS900 480GB SSD (SSD)
Win10

Thank you all!

All the best

Solution
It can be.
I use samsung ssd devices. One good reason is their excellent ssd migration app:
It is a C drive mover, not a clone which is a bit for bit copy.
It takes care of the hidden partitions and expands the free space at the end.
For NVME, first install the samsung nvme driver and m.2 ssd.
Run the app. Be very careful to identify which is source and target.
When done, disconnect the old C drive and you are done.
Hi,

As always, thanks in advance for any assistance.
So I want some extra storage and thought I could also increase speed a little.

The idea is get a new M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe (between 250GB-1TB) and clone/migrate my OS SSD to that.

This frees up the old 250GB SSD for games, whilst also making any OS-related calculations run even faster. I'll also have loads of spare space for files and videos etc on the M.2.

Will it be reasonably hassle free to clone/migrate Win10 to the new M.2 Drive? I think I need to make sure the software I use can do a Bootable clone, that copies all the hidden boot stuff too.
I know NVMe can sometimes not play well with games, but the games will mostly stay on 2.5" SSDs so I'm hoping that won't be an issue.

My rig is:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
B450 AORUS PRO-CF (AM4)
16GB RAM DDR4
Radeon RX 580 4GB
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD)
PNY CS900 480GB SSD (SSD)
Win10

Thank you all!

All the best
I do this all the time.
If you don't run into anything out of the ordinary it's very easy.
Get some free cloning software. I use Aomei Backupper. Macrium Reflect is very popular.
I'd power down and make sure you only have the two drives in the machine to keep things simple.
Perform the clone.
Then power down....and keep only the destination drive in the system.
Power up...go to the BIOS....you should see the M2....make sure it's at the top of the boot order and save the BIOS and it should boot to WIndows.
Edit: If you have other drives to add.....power down and add them NOW.....not before. You want to make sure it boots and works with just the drive you cloned to FIRST.

Last edited:
Reactions: deusvolt
It can be.
I use samsung ssd devices. One good reason is their excellent ssd migration app:
It is a C drive mover, not a clone which is a bit for bit copy.
It takes care of the hidden partitions and expands the free space at the end.
For NVME, first install the samsung nvme driver and m.2 ssd.
Run the app. Be very careful to identify which is source and target.
When done, disconnect the old C drive and you are done.

Solution