[SOLVED] Cloning my old computer's SSD to my new one's SSD - but with a CATCH...

aggillator

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
Hi there. I don't post to forums unless I've spent considerable time researching the question I have and I can't find a straight answer anywhere. So here goes. The age old question of what do you do when you buy a new computer and want to transfer EVERYTHING exactly the way it was (including programs, settings, browser and extension data etc. etc. etc.) from your old SSD to the new SSD. I know the big issue about just doing a straight clone is that the drivers and system files are configured specifically for the computer the old SSD was installed in. So here's my question...is there a way, using any of these migrating/cloning/backup softwares or otherwise to keep everything the same EXCEPT for computer-specific system files and drivers?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Adam

Solution
So here's my question...is there a way, using any of these migrating/cloning/backup softwares or otherwise to keep everything the same EXCEPT for computer-specific system files and drivers?

Unfortunately, no.
Trying this is no different than moving the actual drive to the new system.

A clone is an exact copy. You can't leave parts of it out.
A new drive in the same system, no problem.
Moving to a new system? Huge problem.

Lust like with the physical drive, 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3

More and more with Win 10, we're seeing #3 instead of just flat out fail with #2.

And depending on the difference...

USAFRet

Titan
So here's my question...is there a way, using any of these migrating/cloning/backup softwares or otherwise to keep everything the same EXCEPT for computer-specific system files and drivers?

Unfortunately, no.
Trying this is no different than moving the actual drive to the new system.

A clone is an exact copy. You can't leave parts of it out.
A new drive in the same system, no problem.
Moving to a new system? Huge problem.

Lust like with the physical drive, 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3

More and more with Win 10, we're seeing #3 instead of just flat out fail with #2.

And depending on the difference between old and new systems...#2 may be likely.
For instance, Old Intel to New Ryzen.

For a new system, a fresh install is strongly recommended, often required.

Solution
I understand the nastiness of having to reinstall all on a clean install of windows.

First, I would try to make windows amenable to a hardware change using sysprep.
https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/117979-prepare-windows-for-a-new-cpu-or-motherboard
Fair warning, I have not tried this.

You should also prepare windows for activation on the new hardware:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...e-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665

Next do your clone process to a new ssd.
If it is a samsung ssd, use the samsung ssd migration app, it works well.

Assuming the new build boots.
On the new hardware, install the motherboard and other drivers that came with the new motherboard.