[SOLVED] cloning old SATA SSD drive to a new NVMe PCIe SSD - boot error

onegin

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
I am trying to replace my old SATA III 128Gb SSD drive with a brand new NVMe PCIe Sabrent Rocket Q 1Tb SSD. After cloning using Macrium Reflect Free software and having no clone errors I tried to replace old drive with cloned one and boot the laptop. I ran into BSOD so I plugged USB rescue media flash drive that I'd created from Macrium and after booting into PE environment I ran "Fix Windows boot problems" and restarted the laptop. BSOD again, error code 0xc0000001. This is very fundamental error code which basically means that either the boot drive is inaccessible or a file is missing or corrupt. I had no clone errors and old SSD drive is perfectly bootable (I put it back into laptop and booted laptop without problems). Is there an explanation for this and what should I do now? I found a similar case on Macrium forum : https://forum.macrium.com/Topic5986.aspx

Solution
A reinstall on a new drive in the same system does not incur any licensing or activation issues.

And for future reference...any used system you acquire needs a full wipe and reinstall by you. As the very first thing you do with it.
This does a couple of things:
-Validates the OS licensing
-Wipes out whatever weirdness all previous users may have had in there.

onegin

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
It's ASUS ROG Strix GL702VM. As far as I know it's NVMe capable, when I detached old SATA drive I saw a sign on the motherboard that said SATA/NVMe PCIe . I can double check. How do I check if it's a driver that causes the problem?

onegin

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
Windows 10...
Looks like that Macrium Forum has the right solution: create an image, install new drive, restore from the image and use "Redeploy" utility. The only problem is that "Redeploy" utility only comes with the paid version of Macrium and I hate paying $70 for one time use (I probably won't use this feature after installing the new drive). But apparently EasyUS ToDo Free version might be able to do the same thing (I think it's called "System Transfer"). Now, the main question is where to find NVMe driver for the new SSD. As I understood the driver should be downloaded and be available locally at the time of going into PE environment. Please give me some feedback as to where to look for the driver.

onegin

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
I've got about 90 Gb of data including a lot of apps that I would hate to reinstall (to say nothing about all the settings). As far as the age of installation,I bought this computer in August of last year but the person from whom I bought probably had had this computer for another 1-2 year. But the main problem is that I don't have CD/DVD copy of Windows 10 since I bought computer for cash and I don't know how MS Windows 10 license thing works in such cases

USAFRet

Titan
A reinstall on a new drive in the same system does not incur any licensing or activation issues.

And for future reference...any used system you acquire needs a full wipe and reinstall by you. As the very first thing you do with it.
This does a couple of things:
-Validates the OS licensing
-Wipes out whatever weirdness all previous users may have had in there.

Solution

onegin

Prominent
Apr 5, 2020
Yes, you're right but it's a little bit complicated technically. I would have install Windows across the network. I don't even know the procedure exactly.