Question Cloning only windows partition to a new ssd

Jul 1, 2019
Hello I just upgraded my laptop with a m.2 ssd because the hdd is very slow .
So here is my question, I got 2 partitions on the hdd a C: one where is the windows and a D: one where i have my data.
Is it possible by using easeus to only clone the windows partition (C: )(including the partition that i can't normally see in my computer) and leaving just the D: partition on the hdd?
Thanks!
Also, no time for a fresh windows install on ssd.

Jul 1, 2019
Probably, but before we go down this road...

Screencap of your current Disk Management window, please.
What size is the new SSD?
The SSD I did not received yet, it will be 250 gb(a samsung 970 evo m.2) and right now I got a recovery partition 500mb , a efi system partition 100mb , C: partition 92,8GB free of 234GB and a D: partition 253GB free if 696GB but I want this partition to remain on the hdd as I said.

Jul 1, 2019
No I don't have an external drive I mean I have one but it's a little defect and I won't risk using it.
And yes my laptop can use the 970 evo and the hdd

USAFRet

Titan
The problem with cloning everything except the D partition to the NVMe is how you recover that space from the original C and boot partitions.
Yes, it can be done, but yes, you really really need a full backup of all the data in the D partition, just in case things go weird and you lose it all.

It is MUCH easier and faster to copy the contents of the D partition to elsewhere, do this clone thing (details to follow later), and then to wipe the HDD of ALL partitions at once.
Then you can copy that data back to the now empty HDD, with a drive letter of D.

Messing with partitions should never be done without a known good copy of all the data in it.
Just in case.

Jul 1, 2019
You might be right, but I don't really want to do that.
Also I could just let D: on the hdd and just install the windows manually on the ssd am i right? and just remove the windows partitions on the hdd.

Also i need to specify that I looked in the bios in the boot menu and it says that its booting in legacy mode and down there are 2 things: EFI: Windows Boot Manager and Legacy: Windows 10

When i first got the laptop i installed windows 10 in efi mode but i upgraded to an ssd and sadly it's not working anymore and I decided to use the windows on my hdd but i did not had a windows 10 stick at the moment to install it by myself.
and a friend installed it like that

USAFRet

Titan
Yes you can do it that way.
You'll be left with a confusing mess, though.

Install the OS on the new SSD, with only the SSD connected. Yes, physically disconnect the HDD.
After the install, reconnect the HDD.
Then you can delete the original C partition.
The boot partition WILL give you heartache trying to delete it. Meaning you need to use a 3rd party tool, or the commandline diskpart to do that.
Mistakes here can wipe out everything on that drive.
Resulting in the HDD being 2 partitions. The original D, and some blank space you could designate as E.

USAFRet

Titan
Too much things to do, I want something fast like a clone.
Can't I use macrium reflect?
Yes but...do you want it fast, or do you want it right?
Clone or clean install, you'll still have to deal with the contents of the old drive. You really really don't want the OS on both drives at the end of this process.

Anyway...
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive (For you, ALL partitions except the D partition)
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive (Obviously, don't worry about swapping the cables)
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Jul 1, 2019
Yes but...do you want it fast, or do you want it right?
Clone or clean install, you'll still have to deal with the contents of the old drive. You really really don't want the OS on both drives at the end of this process.

Anyway...
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive (For you, ALL partitions except the D partition)
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive (Obviously, don't worry about swapping the cables)
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
Ok BUT I don't have any cables I just have the m.2 ssd slot and the hdd default slot which obviously it's already occupied.

Jul 1, 2019
I will do it via cloning cuz I don't have a usb atm
also after i do all the steps how do i get rid of the windows partitions and also can i add the remaining gb to my existent D partition after i get rid of windows on the hdd

USAFRet

Titan
I will do it via cloning cuz I don't have a usb atm
also after i do all the steps how do i get rid of the windows partitions and also can i add the remaining gb to my existent D partition after i get rid of windows on the hdd
Clone or clean install on the SSD is the easy part.
Getting rid of the old partitions on the HDD is the hazardous part, and why you need that data backed up on some other drive during this process.
It is VERY easy to accidentally delete the wrong partitions.

After you've done the cloning thing, and are satisfied that the system works properly with only the new SSD, reconnect the HDD.
Install an application like Minitool Partition Wizard.
That should allow you to manage the partitions on the old HDD.