Question Cloning os to usb

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
I have an asus eepc 1101ha running Windows XP which i will upgrade to 2 gb ram ddr2 and 120 gb ssd sata 3 in a few days. Can I clone the c drive to a usb stick and then use that stick to copy the os to the ssd? Will it clone the os too or only the files? Is there any way to clone only the os in the usb and use the usb to copy the os at the new ssd dtive?

P.s. I dont know the right terms to describe what i want to do, I hope you understand what I mean.

If the eepc is capable of booting from USB then you can make a bootable USB containing a clonig program boot into it and take a system image and save it on the usb you can then boot to the usb again when the new ssd is in and restore this image to the new ssd.
There are some cloning tools that can leave out some folders you so only clone what you need but it does complicate the matter,if you can take a full image (sector by sector) do that because otherwise you will have to deal with boot issues.

Reactions: PaulosK

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
If the eepc is capable of booting from USB then you can make a bootable USB containing a clonig program boot into it and take a system image and save it on the usb you can then boot to the usb again when the new ssd is in and restore this image to the new ssd.
There are some cloning tools that can leave out some folders you so only clone what you need but it does complicate the matter,if you can take a full image (sector by sector) do that because otherwise you will have to deal with boot issues.
Do you know any cloning programs that suit my needs?(for free of course, the updates alone will cost 30€, if the program needs money then i prefer buying a new netbook that could run half life 1, cs 1.6 and opera)
I know about easy us and clonezilla, are they capable of doing what i want?

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
If your current OS is not on a Sata drive, then any type of "cloning" will be fruitless. WinXP will not recognize the new drive without the correct drivers being installed.

What type of HDD is the system installed on now?

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
If your current OS is not on a Sata drive, then any type of "cloning" will be fruitless. WinXP will not recognize the new drive without the correct drivers being installed.

What type of HDD is the system installed on now?
It has 2 hdds. A c:// and a d://. There is a folder named windows on the c folder, so i guess this is were the os is installed. The asus eepc have a sata hdd, but because it has 2 drives i dont know if they are both sata or not. The d:// is a 100gb hdd and the c:// is a 30gb hdd. I couldnt find anything about a non sata hdd on the eepc, so i guess that they are both sata or that only the c:// drive is sata.

ImWolf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2019
If indeed your existing OS is on a Sata drive already, (and NO NEW DRIVERS need be installed for new hardware), then you should be able to copy and replace the existing disk image to the new drive once installed.

I have never done this however.... :b

Hopefully someone with experience in this task will respond here.

Good luck....
Wolf

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
If indeed your existing OS is on a Sata drive already, (and NO NEW DRIVERS need be installed for new hardware), then you should be able to copy and replace the existing disk image to the new drive once installed.

I have never done this however.... :b

Hopefully someone with experience in this task will respond here.

Good luck....
Wolf
Thanks, but now I have a new question : ) What do you mean new drivers be installed for new hardware? I just recently got in the world of pc hardware and a month ago i didnt know you should upgrade your dtivers (that was a real shock for me if you take into concideration that i used the same netbook for 10 years and i ve never updated) so yeah i am not yet too familiar with drivers.
If this doesnt work, i ll probably use the new ssd for the pc i am planning to build when the new ryzen cpus come out and i ll just pop the hdd back inside to the netbook.

USAFRet

Titan
Given a few conditions, this can be done.

What size is the current drive?
What type of drive is it? SATA, with regular SATA connections? Or eMMC, soldered to the motherboard?
Do you have an external drive large enough to hold the entirety of the current drive?

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
Given a few conditions, this can be done.

What size is the current drive?
What type of drive is it? SATA, with regular SATA connections? Or eMMC, soldered to the motherboard?
Do you have an external drive large enough to hold the entirety of the current drive?
I believe the os is stored on a sata drive. It has a sata drive for sure, but i dont know if it is the one that the os is stored on. There wasnt a windows xp key, so i am starting to think that the os is in the motherboard drive. How can i find which drive is which? Is there any way to do this or is it just test and hope?
I have a 16 gb usb stick, enough to store everything i want. If i need a 32 gb, which i dont think i will, i will just buy one they are not that expensive.

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
"I believe the os is stored on a sata drive. "

We need to know.
Possibly the Service Manual will tell you.

How much space is consumed on the current physical drive?
A screencap of your Disk Management window is needed here.
I cant post photos here because i am from mobile, i can use google drive

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
Also, a quick search on
"I believe the os is stored on a sata drive. "

We need to know.
Possibly the Service Manual will tell you.

How much space is consumed on the current physical drive?
A screencap of your Disk Management window is needed here.
Also a quick search on bios indicated that the os drive is a sata drive.

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
How much space is consumed on that physical drive?

The C and D are just 2 paritions on that same physical drive?
35 gbs, but i will do a format to delete any malware/viruces/programs/files i dont want, meaning that i will leave only the basic programs.

Actually yes. They are the same disk. I found out about this 5 minuites ago.

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
Is it in fact removable? Just because it says SATA, might just mean the SATA protocol, not necessarily a regular SATA drive.

It might be, but you'll have to eyeball the thing to be certain.
What size is the drive?
It is removable, there are tutorials telling you how to do it and there are sites selling ssds for this specific model. The whole size of the disk is 148.6 gbs, but i wont need more than 120gb

USAFRet

Titan
Needs and Procedures:

You'll need 2 external USB devices.
1x 4GB, to hold the Macrium Rescue fies
1 large enough to hold the full contents of your current drive.

Install Macrium Reflect
Run it, and create a Macrium RescueUSB with the smaller USB drive
In Macrium, create an Image on the larger USB drive. All partitions of your current drive.
Remove the original internal drive, and install the new one.
Reboot, booting from the Macrium RescueUSB you made earlier.
Run the Recovery function. Tell it where the Image is, and what drive to apply that Image to (the new SSD).

it the Go button...

Power OFF, disconnect the 2 USB things, and reboot.

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
Needs and Procedures:

You'll need 2 external USB devices.
1x 4GB, to hold the Macrium Rescue fies
1 large enough to hold the full contents of your current drive.
Thanks!!!!!!

Install Macrium Reflect
Run it, and create a Macrium RescueUSB with the smaller USB drive
In Macrium, create an Image on the larger USB drive. All partitions of your current drive.
Remove the original internal drive, and install the new one.
Reboot, booting from the Macrium RescueUSB you made earlier.
Run the Recovery function. Tell it where the Image is, and what drive to apply that Image to (the new SSD).

it the Go button...

Power OFF, disconnect the 2 USB things, and reboot.