[SOLVED] Cloning partitions without their content

Mawla

Commendable
May 21, 2021
I know how to partition HDDs and SSDs and install Windows. I've done it dozens of times using DOS, Disk Management, DiskPart and third-party software. But I've never cloned a disk. So, could you please educate me by answering a question (I may have more later)?

Do popular cloning tools usually have provision to clone only partition structure (size, type, ID, location, etc.) without copying other content? I have the free versions of Macrium Reflect, MiniTool Partition Wizard and AOMEI Partition Assistant but I can't find this option.

Solution
OK. Call it duplicating partitions or whatever. Can you suggest a tool to do that? Will such a tool duplicate the type, ID, etc of the source drive? This is the main reason for needing such a tool. Creating partitions from scratch is otherwise a simple process.

One possible - but not the only - scenario in which duplicating partitions without their content could come in useful would be to have a copy of an OEM disk ready for copying data later. The new disk would have all the correct partition IDs. Data can be copied in batches at the user's convenience. This will probably also put less stress on the target disk by stretching out the process - over days if desired.
As mentioned, cloning means just that, making exact copy, bit...
Do popular cloning tools usually have provision to clone only partition structure (size, type, ID, location, etc.) without copying other content? I have the free versions of Macrium Reflect, MiniTool Partition Wizard and AOMEI Partition Assistant but I can't find this option.
Could you clone a sheep but only the bones?
No, cloning is making an exact copy.

What you want is a tool that can copy (backup/restore) the partition table to a different drive.

Mawla

Commendable
May 21, 2021
OK. Call it duplicating partitions or whatever. Can you suggest a tool to do that? Will such a tool duplicate the type, ID, etc of the source drive? This is the main reason for needing such a tool. Creating partitions from scratch is otherwise a simple process.

One possible - but not the only - scenario in which duplicating partitions without their content could come in useful would be to have a copy of an OEM disk ready for copying data later. The new disk would have all the correct partition IDs. Data can be copied in batches at the user's convenience. This will probably also put less stress on the target disk by stretching out the process - over days if desired.

As mentioned, cloning means just that, making exact copy, bit by bit and same order.
You can just copy partition parameters using some partitioning tools like Mini tools partition wizard.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution