Question Cloning problem

Feb 19, 2019
Using Samsung Data Migration software, I cloned my almost full V-NAND SSD 256gb M2 Samsung drive to a Samsung ssd 500gb as a temporary home before installing a new 1tb drive and cloning the temporary SSD to it. Unfortunately, although the cloning procedure went smoothly enough, the temporary SSD won't load the OS properly. I can enter safe mode but don't know how now to proceed. I have tried repeating the cloning process several times but to no avail. I have disconnected all other drives.
I should be grateful for any thoughts anyone might have to help me resolve this issue.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Using Samsung Data Migration software, I cloned my almost full V-NAND SSD 256gb M2 Samsung drive to a Samsung ssd 500gb as a temporary home before installing a new 1tb drive and cloning the temporary SSD to it. Unfortunately, although the cloning procedure went smoothly enough, the temporary SSD won't load the OS properly. I can enter safe mode but don't know how now to proceed. I have tried repeating the cloning process several times but to no avail. I have disconnected all other drives.
I should be grateful for any thoughts anyone might have to help me resolve this issue.

You said you "disconnected all other drives " does that mean only the new clone was connected? You might need to change boot drive in BIOS for it to work.

If that's how you did it maybe you can try cloning the other drive using Macrium Reflect. It's freeware and lives here.

Feb 19, 2019
Confession!! I had been trying to boot up the pc with the cloned SSD still in USB. When I attached it to one of the SATA connections which I had previously disconnected, the booting up went perfectly!!
I then installed the new NVME 1TB M2 Drive and successfully cloned to it from the 500Gb SSD.
In short, all is now well, apart from one thing.
In the earlier stages of the process I stupidly "cleaned" the wrong drive and have lost some data from that drive. I am informed that this process is non-reversible but I wonder if there is any way of retrieving the lost data?
Thanks to Satan-R and Grobe who previously put in their pennyworth.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
No problem, yes it sometimes happens and that's why I asked about what is connected and how to the system at the time of booting.

You used DISKPART clean? Some software claim they can recover data even after a 'clean' and if the data is not so important as to require a recovery process by professionals I'd say give it a shot.

One of the aforementioned applications is EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. Free version can be found here. I have used it previously with some success. Although if the drive has been used after clean some areas might have been overwritten with new data and that might make it harder or impossible to read from those parts but it won't hurt.

That's why for an attempt to recover deleted data they sometimes use small bootable Linux distros that reside in the RAM as they do no write operations on the storage to prevent any bit being overwritten.

It wouldn't hurt to try it.

Last edited: