Cloning SSD drve

spinker

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hello,

Would there be any problems cloning an existing secondary SSD OCZ drive to another new SSD OCZ hard drive of the same size?

Reason is that the drive is not always seen by my computer. I have C:boot drive and E:SSD drive.

OCZ support says drive may be failing, they are sending a new one.

Larry

There are many freeware utilities that will allow you to do this. Clonezilla and one of the EASEUS free tools come to mind.

The one problem that you may have (I don't know for sure) is that you may need to boot from something other than the source SSD. I don't know if these tools can clone a running system partition.

spinker

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

The computer boots from my C: drive 600GB WD Velociraptor 10000 RPM.
The SSD is my E: secondary storage drive.

I guess this should work ?

Larry

Yep, then it should be easy.

I'm curious. What did you put on the SSD in preference over the OS? Or are you just waiting until the SSD exhibits reliability (or not, in this case) to put the OS on it?

Note - if you are not running Win7, the partition(s) you created on the SSD may not be aligned on 4K borders. If that is the case, you may be better off formatting the new SSD on 4K borders and copying rather than cloning the data. Although I think (?) that EASEUS can correct this during cloning....

spinker

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I am a Flight Simulator enthusiast. Flight Simulator was installed on the SSD E: drive for faster loading purposes.

Recently my computer (I have had the SSD drive about a year) became erratic in seeing my E: SSD drive. It would load the drive about 50% of the time I started the computer. I would have to restart the computer over and over until it would finnally see the E: drive. Sometimes even after the E: drive was loaded it would disappear.

Called OCZ suport and explained the problem. Support prerson said it appeared the drive was failing. We made arrangements to receive a replacement drive which arrived today. I have my tech person schedualed to come and transfer data tonight.

I was concerned about my tech persons files to transfer data. I guess I should have said the word copy instead of clone.

At any rate I appreciate your interest.

Of course if the new SSD drive still continues to disappear after the new drive is installed Im not sure what to look for other than the motherboard so I hope OCZ support was right.

Any input is apprciated

THanks again,

Larry

System
OS Win 7 Pro 64 bit | CPU Intel Core i7-960 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Video Nvidea GeForce GTX 460--Nvidia Driver: 266.58- Corsair H70 Water Cooling-RAM G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 |
E: Drive FSX SSD 480G OCZ OCZSSD2 |C: Drive 600GB WD Velociraptor 10000 RPM | Power Supply: Corsair 750 watt | Case: Thermaltake M9