[SOLVED] Cloning SSD w/ OS to New Larger SSD

Dec 2, 2018
I bought a 1TB SSD to replace my 256GB SSD which is just about full. I'd like to just transfer everything over, including the OS, to the new SSD. I downloaded EaseUS Todo Backup like everyone says, and following these directions: https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-resource/clone-and-migrate-dual-boot-os-drive-to-hdd-ssd.html I get this:

nJmmfUt.jpg

and here's disk manager:
1nT3QYI.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Solution
"I downloaded EaseUS Todo Backup like everyone says...."

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Probably nothing. Try deleting all partitions on disk 0 (1TB Drive) and them format it as one large volume. Or try it unformatted and let EaseUS see if it will format it when it clones. It looks like disk 0 has been formatted UEFI. Is disk 0 UEFI or legacy?

Btw, why does EaseUS say the source drive is Windows Microsoft 7 instead of drive 1?

USAFRet

Titan
"I downloaded EaseUS Todo Backup like everyone says...."

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution
Dec 2, 2018

I tried deleting the partitions that were on there from attempting to do this before and made it all unallocated and this is what I got:

pfMzdS8.jpg

So for some reason it cloned the old SSD, and in the process made my 1TB ssd show up as a 256 that is full. WTF? I checked the sector by sector clone in the options like it said to do. I don't get it.

And it says that it knows which drive has the OS you don't need to select it so I guess that's why it doesn't state which drive it is cloning. No idea what you're referring to with legacy/UEFI.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Good job. Glad to hear it is taken care of. Btw, that is what I was referring to in post above by using EaseUS's "edit" link. It allows you to do that within the pgm.

Dec 2, 2018

Ah, I tried looking for the edit link but didn't see it. I've got a new problem now though, the new drive works great but now my computer only wants to recognize 2 of my 3 drives at a time. I've got a 3TB HDD, the old 256gb SSD and the new 1TB ssd. All three have power and are plugged into the motherboard but the computer only see's two at a time, or it'll see all 3 but one will not be accessible. If I click on it says I need to format the drive for it to be seen, and if I click the X it says "The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted". I know the SSD works fine though, because if I unplug the new 1TB ssd I can still boot off of the old one and it works as it should. Any ideas?

Dec 2, 2018
Got it. For whatever reason my SATA cables apparently decided to no longer work... or work but not all at the same time. Bought new SATA cables for each hard drive and they are all showing up now. Everything seems to be running tip top!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Ah. Good to hear. Odd about the cables, tho. I have cables from back in the dark ages that I still use with no issues. But it is what it is. Enjoy!