Cloning SSD with Acronis True Image

Heisenberg76

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Hi all,

I'm about to clone my C drive SSD to a larger SSD I have just bought.

The new SSD comes with a licensed copy of Acronis True Image (it looks like the 2018 version).

The instructions say I need to remove the old SSD after cloning. Is it possible to use it as an additional drive? What is the best way to do that?

Sincere thanks.

Just make sure after you clone you set your new drive as the first boot drive in your BIOS and you can leave your old SSD in there either as it is or if you want to use it for other stuff use Disk Management in windows to erase all partitions and then partition it as you see fit.

USAFRet

Titan

The following was written for Macrium Reflect and Samsung Data Migration. But Acronis should work as well.
After the clone process finishes...
Power OFF
Disconnect the old drive
Allow the system to try to boot from the *new* drive on its own.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

Lets wait and see. Samsung Migration makes the same statement. The drives are not meant to co exist, that's what they are saying. Basically the clone will not be recognized. This arises because the cloning app copies all data including the GUID and windows cannot tell one drive from another. So they say to "remove the original drive", like you are on a notebook and upgrading the drive. To remedy this, go to disk management and let windows change the drive ID.

To avoid it altogether, use Macrium Reflect that has better coding and does not clone the disk ID.

Heisenberg76

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
It seems to have cloned okay, and is booting from the new SSD. I have swapped the SATA cables and both drives show up.

What's the best way to remove the old data on the old SSD?

USAFRet

Titan

Assuming that you have verified that the system boots from the new drive on its own...Disk Management, and DELETE all partitions on that old drive.
Reformat and give it a drive letter.

Heisenberg76

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016

Yeah, I gave it a few test boots on its own.

Many thanks, good people! :)