[SOLVED] Cloning W10 from internal SATA SSD Samsung 840 to internal Samsung M.2 NVME Evo 970 plus on Z170X UD3

Hard_ware

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
Hello,

I am going to clone W10 from internal SATA SSD Samsung 840 to internal Samsung M.2 NVME Evo 970 plus 1 TB on Z170X UD3 Gigabyte motherboard
The 970 Evo plus will be the new booting SSD.

Which tools do you recommend and what which are the steps to do to succeed?

Thanks a lot

Solution

Hard_ware

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
You should probably start with the Samsung Magician. There is an installation guide that runs you through the entire process.
Thank you. I used the data migration tool. It was just one click and the whole process was performed.
Afterward I unplugged the old SATA SSD and booted.
First the computer did not start and in BIOS/UEFI I found now 2 entries
  1. Boot with Windows Boot Manager from new NVME SSD
  2. Boot directly from new NVME SSD
The computer now boots only if I use 1)

Why do I have now this new entry and why does the computer not start if I select 2)?

Something went wrong? Or do I still have something to do to finish the process?

Last edited:

Hard_ware

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
A second problem occured.
If I connect my old Sata SSD back to the SATA port, BIOS/UEFI gives me only the option to boot from the old SATA SSD. The selection to boot from new Windows boot manager from new NVME SSD dissapears and I cannot boot from the new NVME.

I think I need to erase the old SATA SSD, but I cannot do it like this because either BIOS wants to boot from old SATA oder I need to unplug it in order to be able to boot from new NVME SSD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hard_ware
Solution

Hard_ware

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2015
The reason #2 does not work is because UEFI requires a boot manager. As far as removing it, I would remove it from the boot order in the BIOS or msconfig. As far as the old ssd, you can use diskpart to erase the data https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/85819-erase-disk-using-diskpart-clean-command-windows-10-a.html, or a partition software if you want to just remove the boot partition; BTW Windows disk manager will not allow you to erase a boot or system partition.
The reason #2 does not work is because UEFI requires a boot manager. As far as removing it, I would remove it from the boot order in the BIOS or msconfig. As far as the old ssd, you can use diskpart to erase the data https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/85819-erase-disk-using-diskpart-clean-command-windows-10-a.html, or a partition software if you want to just remove the boot partition; BTW Windows disk manager will not allow you to erase a boot or system partition.

Thank you, this solved the problem.