"Cloning" wifi network

PhatLloyd

Honorable
Jul 1, 2014
Hi guys

I saw an article on funny wifi names and was wondering if it is possible to do number 4 on this list (link to article below). It seem as if the wifi has been cloned, either that or he has hacked other routers and changed the names of them. I want to know if there is a way of doing what "Bill" has done while not hacking anyone else's wifi.

I think it can be done with Ubuntu but I am not sure.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicaprobus/no-more-free-wifi#.tuvDJgRrn

USAFRet

Titan
That appears to just be SSID's on different WiFI networks.
One guy called his "Bill Wi the Science Fi" and the neighbors jumped on the bandwagon.

Cloning or hacking? No.
And even if it could be (and it wasn't), talk of this will not be allowed in here.

Why would you think that is any kind of accomplishment. All you need is a router that lets you create multiple ssid. I assume there is some limit but you can create as many as you want on the same radio just by typing them in.

I have done this to make it appear lots of people were using a particular channel so the automatic channel pickers would avoid the channel I was using.

Set up several routers with WIFI in your apartment , Flat, or house etc.
Give each a different address, such as 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 !92.168.1.3 or 192.168.254.1 , 192.168.254.2 , 192.168.254.3 Etc.....What ever your local ISP uses for IP address on there modem/router combo.
Give each a different SSID+ "Funny Name".
Put them each on a different channel than your home internet connection, so you do not cause radio interference.
They do not have to be connected to the internet ,Just configured and turned on in different rooms.

LOts of edits. Cat was helping me type.

PhatLloyd

Honorable
Jul 1, 2014

Is this your wifi network in the pic BILL001g? :lol: