Cloning Win2K to another Partition

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
I recently installed a Promise S150TX2PLUS RAID w/(2) WD360 SATA's on my system. I want to clone my Win2K sys as is to the RAID. I've tried a simple tape (Ecrix VXA-1)Disaster Recovery restore from the current 45GB/7200 IBM drives, but during boot (it does boot) just after entering the Admin PW I get an error "pagefile not present or too small". Using cmd console I did an ERD "fix" ... nada! So, I installed my Symantec Ghost ... ghosted partition-to-partition (both partitions fixed disk and RAID same size NTFS) and booted ... same error! In the past I've used the tape DR approach to clone Win2K from one size HD to another and it's always "worked". I'm at a loss as to why none of these clone techniques (tape or Ghost) work with RAID 0 array. Any SysAdmins or MSCE's here that can help?

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
I see that 8 others have viewed this original post, but no answers. Same-o same-o from various "high wizard" MSCE tech's I personally know! So, rather than fight unknown OS dragons I'm canning the notion of running a cloned RAID OS. A recent article comparing RAID 0 speeds to bare naked SATA 150 HD's showed just a few % difference in throughput! A 10% faster HD desktop response is practically unnoticable to the average human ... me included, and in this specific case we are only talking about a 3-4% difference. So, I've ordered a two port SATA PCI adapter card to replace the Promise RAID card. Then, I'll Ghost my system HD to HD, which I've already done in the past, so I "know" it works and I'll end up with comparable "speeds & feeds" to a RAID 0 system :)

Ghost sucks its useless crap, you probably would have better luck using Partition Magic 8, but my suggestion is forget the RAID clone idea, especially trying to clone a striped array, do a clean install of Win2K on RAID0, and just use Win2K to bring the files you want from the old HDD, you can copy and paste, anything you need to move.

Heres a RAID tip as far as RAID0 or a striped array, Win2K will not defrag any stripe size set larger than 4K, did you know that? So if the programs you'll be running require defragging, keep that little tip in mind.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541" target="_new">My Rig</A>