[SOLVED] Cloning Windows 10 to SSD?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 17, 2019
Hello everyone.
I Installed a M.2 SSD SATA to my laptop so that it would run faster. I used the Crucial cloning software to do this, Acronis. The cloning went good and everything I had on the HDD is on the SDD. However, Disk 0 is still assigned to the HDD, meaning that it boots off of it even when I change the boot sequence in bios. I am able to boot off the SDD only when I take the HDD out of the laptop. Then, the computer recognized the SDD as Disk 0 and drive C. But once I add the HDD back in, it switches it and the HDD becomes Disk 0 again and Drive C. While the SDD is Disk 1 and Drive E. Is there a way to make it so that the SDD stays as Disk 0/drive C and boots from it?

Solution
Once you boot up you ssd and attach the hdd, than you need to remove the OS from the hdd. You can do this through the Disk Manager. You can either format the existing partitions, or delete and repartition the drive according to your wants/needs. Just make sure you are formating the hdd partitions and not the ssd.

TRENDING THREADS