[SOLVED] Cloning Windows 10 to SSD?

Dec 17, 2019
Hello everyone.
I Installed a M.2 SSD SATA to my laptop so that it would run faster. I used the Crucial cloning software to do this, Acronis. The cloning went good and everything I had on the HDD is on the SDD. However, Disk 0 is still assigned to the HDD, meaning that it boots off of it even when I change the boot sequence in bios. I am able to boot off the SDD only when I take the HDD out of the laptop. Then, the computer recognized the SDD as Disk 0 and drive C. But once I add the HDD back in, it switches it and the HDD becomes Disk 0 again and Drive C. While the SDD is Disk 1 and Drive E. Is there a way to make it so that the SDD stays as Disk 0/drive C and boots from it?

Solution
Once you boot up you ssd and attach the hdd, than you need to remove the OS from the hdd. You can do this through the Disk Manager. You can either format the existing partitions, or delete and repartition the drive according to your wants/needs. Just make sure you are formating the hdd partitions and not the ssd.
Dec 17, 2019
I have an acer e15 e5-575-33bm. I do have a USB to 2.5". Will doing that once fix it? After I do that will it stop switching back to the HDD for booting? Thanks again.

Once you boot up you ssd and attach the hdd, than you need to remove the OS from the hdd. You can do this through the Disk Manager. You can either format the existing partitions, or delete and repartition the drive according to your wants/needs. Just make sure you are formating the hdd partitions and not the ssd.

Solution
Dec 17, 2019
Yes, the SDD boots just fine if the HDD is not in. Its when the HDD is in while booting it overrides the SDD. Thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated!

Dec 17, 2019
Update. I erased the hard drive and put it back in. Even though there is no OS on it, it is still defaulting to it and making my computer unbootable. Unless I take it out and only have the SSD in. Is there a way to change Windows Boot Manager so it recognizes the SDD and not the HDD for booting?

In your laptop bios, there should be a setting to specify a first boot device; make that the ssd.
You will need to shut down windows completely.
Hold down the shift key while you tap the shutdown command
you will need to tap del or f2 while powering on to enter the bios.

Dec 17, 2019
I' thinking that there is still something on the HDD that is telling the computer to boot from it. Any recommendations on a type of software that eraces a HDD completely and wipes all data?