Cloning Windows 8.1 SSD

bosssssa

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
I have a new SSD(2) that I want to use on my computer as my main HD. I cloned my hard drive and it boots to windows but when it does, the screen is all blue and my profile picture is not there. Also when I attempt to log into window it goes into an infinite loop saying

Preparing Windows...

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. This problem only occurs if I have removed the old SSD(1). If I plug it back in I can boot from SSD(2) and have no problems but I want to use that SSD(1) for another Computer so I need to erase it after everything works properly. Thanks for your help.

bosssssa

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014

What do you mean by a working array?

sheepy1193

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
I have this problem too. I used the cloning program supplied with my SSD to copy the programs and OS but when I try and boot with both the SSD and HDD plugged in if I boot from the HDD it works fine, if I boot from SSD i can log in but the desktop items and windows bar keep disappearing and if I try to boot from either one seperately it doesn't work. I get the blue screen mentioned if I do it from SSD, but I get a black screen if I boot from HDD

For clarity's sake I'm going to call your SSD(2) NewSSD and your SSD(1) OldSSD, OK?

So if I correctly understand your problem (as you explained it) you cloned your OldSSD to the NewSSD. You indicate that if you disconnect your OldSSD the NewSSD will not boot. Is that right?
But you explain that when you reconnect the OldSSD (with the NewSSD still connected) the NewSSD will boot without a problem. Do I correctly understand this?
If the preceding is the correct scenario I have the feeling that you're actually booting to the OldSSD when both drives are connected and that you are NOT booting to the NewSSD. Is that possible? If that is actually what is happening then the indication is the disk-cloning operation actually failed.
But perhaps I misunderstand the problem.