[SOLVED] Cloning with bad sectors

scobod22

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
My son's pc (specs below) has been getting progressively slower in boot up. It got to the point that even a bootup was nearly impossible. It would freeze often while attempting to boot. I had purchased an SDD with plans on cloning before disk failure. I did attempt to clone the drive using free version of AOMEI backupper. First time, I received a completion clone, but once swapping the disks to use the SSD as boot, same issue. It would keep freezing on me at the same Windows screen with the spinning circle dots. So I formatted the SSD and tried again thinking there may have been an error, but this time, at 60%, I received an error stating there were bad sectors on the source disk. I tried chkdsk to locate and repair or block sectors, but it didn't find anything after 6 hours of scanning which was odd to me. I again formatted the SSD and attempted to clone, but once again, was blocked by errors of bad sectors in the source disk. The pc would keep freezing to the point I had to do several hard resets. So at this point I figured I must have copied bad sectors over and cloning is impossible. I will take the loss. I formatted the SSD and did a clean windows install using a bootable USB. Same issue. SSD freezes at the same Windows icon screen with the spinning dots. Sometimes my display is black and mouse/keyboard have no power to it, although I do have gpu signal going to my monitor. Can anyone offer any insight on what I can do to get this thing bootable and usable? It is only used to play mild games. Im not extremely knowledgable on pc's anymore. I know this is an older system, but when it is running, it is fast with no issues. The few times it does boot, it takes forever and a half to load with the disk usage at 100%

Dell Optiplex 9010
i7-3440 I think
16g ram
EVGA GTX 1050 GPU
550w Seasonic psu

Last edited:
Solution
Solved. This is both hardware failure and human error. The mechanical drive is 8 years old and was just plain failing. The error on my end was that, even though I though I was formatting the SSD, I guess I wasn't. I was right clicking the drive and choosing "format" then unchecking quick format. Although I though this did the job, it didn't truly format it. I then went into the disk partition in windows and found that it was leaving my some files in tact on the SSD from my prior installation attempts. I did a format through the partition manager and it cleared it all. I then went back and attempted another clone on the SSD and all was successful.

USAFRet

Titan
Cloning is a great tool, when conditions are perfect and it works.
It will not fix corrupted data on the source drive.

Time for just a fresh OS install on this new drive.

scobod22

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Cloning is a great tool, when conditions are perfect and it works.
It will not fix corrupted data on the source drive.

Time for just a fresh OS install on this new drive.

I did try that using a boot USB. Same issues. Perhaps my formatting of the SSD isnt being done the proper way. I simply used the formatting windows provides. It literally takes 5-10 seconds.

scobod22

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2012
Solved. This is both hardware failure and human error. The mechanical drive is 8 years old and was just plain failing. The error on my end was that, even though I though I was formatting the SSD, I guess I wasn't. I was right clicking the drive and choosing "format" then unchecking quick format. Although I though this did the job, it didn't truly format it. I then went into the disk partition in windows and found that it was leaving my some files in tact on the SSD from my prior installation attempts. I did a format through the partition manager and it cleared it all. I then went back and attempted another clone on the SSD and all was successful.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS