Clonning a Storage HDD

bschnell

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Hey everyone! Appreciate your help in advance.

I have a 1.5TB WD Green drive that is starting to go bad after about 5 years of heavy use. I purchased a 2TB WD Black drive to replace it. I should also mention that I have a 120GB SSD that I use for Windows and key applications.

What I'm hoping to accomplish is to clone the Green (E) drive to the Black drive, remove the Green drive from the system, rename the Black drive to "E:" in Disk Management and keep all of the file pathing in between the two drives (SSD and Storage) in tact.

Will this work? Is there something I'm missing or is it really that easy? Also is there any recommendations around software that I should use to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Brad

The information provided you by Kavinqt is right-on. The AOMEI Backupper disk-cloning program is effective and quite easy to use.

I just wanted to point out one add'l piece of info. when using the AOMEI program. While it will clone the entire contents of your 1.5 TB disk to the 2 TB disk, the program will establish a partition no larger than the source disk, i.e., your 1.5 TB disk. So a portion of the destination disk - your 2 TB drive - will be "unallocated". But it will be a simple & quick exercise (that you may possibly already know) to utilize Disk Management and select the "Extend Volume" option so that the entire disk-space of the 2 TB HDD will be available.

I'm not entirely sure if the same situation extends to the Macrium Reflect program Kavingqt also recommended. That's a fine program also but I think you may find the AOMEI program a bit easier to use.

dstarr3

Distinguished
If you're just cloning files and it's not a boot drive, then you can also use a program called SyncBack. It'll do a hash check on each file copy to make sure that it was a bit-perfect transfer ensuring there's no data degradation. At the end, your destination will be bit-identical to your source.

bschnell

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

Hey just wanted to give you an update! That program worked flawlessly. I was able to clone the drive and had no issues, plug and play. Thanks for the help!