Question Clonning/migrating older SATA SSD (with windows in it) to new NVMe SSD

Nov 6, 2019
Hello everyone.
I got a new Samsung 970 evo plus SSD to extend my storage, since I am running low on space on my older Samsung 860 evo. However, I am facing a problem with replacing it since I only have on M.2 slot. Both SSDs are M.2, so the only possible option is to clone the older one to the new one using an M.2 adapter. However, I need to 'migrate' the windows OS to the new one, and in the disk manager, it shows that I have the system(boot) partition and windows partition on my old SSD, while I have the EFI partition on my HDD.
So my concern is, what should I do to clone the system fully to the new SSD without ruining the system, and without losing files or programs already installed. I have looked into EaseUS partition master software, however it doesn’t allow me to ‘migrate OS’ to the other SSD without paying a hefty 40$ price. Can someone recommend a method for cloning and migrating, preferably cheap or free. Attached is a picture of disk management.
Screenshot-84.png

How about cloning to a SATA SSD....but clone to a file....in other words....do not make an exact clone....clone to a file.

Then put the new drive in the M2 slot and clone the file to the new M2.

^^^^when you do this part (cloning to the M2) ....you will need to boot from a USB stick or something similar.....which most cloning software allows you to create.....at least whatever cloning software I have used.

Reactions: afs7
Nov 6, 2019
How about cloning to a SATA SSD....but clone to a file....in other words....do not make an exact clone....clone to a file.

Then put the new drive in the M2 slot and clone the file to the new M2.

^^^^when you do this part (cloning to the M2) ....you will need to boot from a USB stick or something similar.....which most cloning software allows you to create.....at least whatever cloning software I have used.

Thanks for replying first of all, but I think I was misunderstood. My issue isn't about accessing both drives at the same time, thats why I bought a M.2 to USB adapter.
My concern is about the process of cloning and whether to clone both the system/boot partition and the EFI partition to the new SSD, and if so how?

Thanks for replying first of all, but I think I was misunderstood. My issue isn't about accessing both drives at the same time, thats why I bought a M.2 to USB adapter.
My concern is about the process of cloning and whether to clone both the system/boot partition and the EFI partition to the new SSD, and if so how?
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Although now that I understand....and I see how migrating the OS is what you want to do....

What if you just cloned disk 0 and left the EFI partition where it is? I'm thinking this "should" work....unless I'm missing something.

Nov 6, 2019
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Although now that I understand....and I see how migrating the OS is what you want to do....

What if you just cloned disk 0 and left the EFI partition where it is? I'm thinking this "should" work....unless I'm missing something.
Thats where the problem is. The EaseUS partition master software provides an option to 'migrate the OS', which then tells me that it will be cloning the EFI and system partitions to the new SSD, yet it requires the expensive pro license to do that. So I was thinking of only cloning each partition to the new SSD by itself, but I am worried about corrupting the files.

I'm not suggesting using "migrate.

Is Disk 0 your 860?
If so.....why not just do a straight clone of Disk 0 to the 970?
....and if the 970 is larger than the 860.....which I assume it is.....either create a new partition in the extra space or expand a partition.

Nov 6, 2019
I'm not suggesting using "migrate.

Is Disk 0 your 860?
If so.....why not just do a straight clone of Disk 0 to the 970?
....and if the 970 is larger than the 860.....which I assume it is.....either create a new partition in the extra space or expand a partition.
thats one possible solution, which is leaving the EFI partition on the HDD, and only clonning the whole 860 SSD to the new 970, since the software won't allow to clone the EFI partition by itself.

Another solution I am considering is to clone the HDD to the SSD, then deleting the other partitions and cloning the partitions in the 860 SSD to the 970.

These are basically the 2 options I am considering, and I would love to hear your opinion

USAFRet

Titan
In theory, you should be able to selct both the EFI partition on the HDD and the rest of the C drive/partition on the SSD, and migrate both at the same time to the new SSD.

I much prefer Macrium Reflect for this type of operation.

Whatever tool you use, at the end of the process, power OFF, remove all the old drives and allow the system to boot up from the new drive by itself.
Resist the temptation to poke around in the newly cloned drive to see if everything is there.
Unless you get an error message, it is. And you couldn't tell anyway.

Nov 6, 2019
In theory, you should be able to selct both the EFI partition on the HDD and the rest of the C drive/partition on the SSD, and migrate both at the same time to the new SSD.

I much prefer Macrium Reflect for this type of operation.

Whatever tool you use, at the end of the process, power OFF, remove all the old drives and allow the system to boot up from the new drive by itself.
Resist the temptation to poke around in the newly cloned drive to see if everything is there.
Unless you get an error message, it is. And you couldn't tell anyway.
May I ask you, have you ever cloned a whole disk and another partition from another disk using mcarium, I have looked inside mcarium reflect, but can't find an option to migrate the OS. Else, will be cloning the EFI partition as if I am cloning any other partition would work?

USAFRet

Titan
May I ask you, have you ever cloned a whole disk and another partition from another disk using mcarium, I have looked inside mcarium reflect, but can't find an option to migrate the OS. Else, will be cloning the EFI partition as if I am cloning any other partition would work?
I've used Macrium many many times for the cloning operation.

The wording "migrate the OS" in EaseUS is somewhat misleading. It does not migrate 'only the OS'.
It takes that entire partition or drive.

I've not tried 2 different partitions from 2 different physical drives in Macrium, but I believe it can be done.

But...see my second post/question.

Nov 6, 2019
However...please give us an actual description of which drive is which.

Disk 0 = ?
Disk 1 = ?
Disk 3 = ?

There may be easier/better ways to get to a desirable end point.
Disk 0: Samsung 860 Evo SSD (250 GB):
has: System reserved partition (G:) (500 MB) + System (C:) (171.6GB) + 802MB reserved + storage drive (D:)(60GB)

Disk 1: HDD 1 TB
has: EFI partition 260 MB + 16MB reserved + Storage drive (E:) 120GB + 1 MB reserved + storage drive (W:) 68.36 GB + storage drive (F:) 442.47 GB + OEM recovery reserved 499 MB

Disk 2: Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD (1 TB)

Screenshot-85.png

thats one possible solution, which is leaving the EFI partition on the HDD, and only clonning the whole 860 SSD to the new 970, since the software won't allow to clone the EFI partition by itself.

Another solution I am considering is to clone the HDD to the SSD, then deleting the other partitions and cloning the partitions in the 860 SSD to the 970.

These are basically the 2 options I am considering, and I would love to hear your opinion
The one possible issue I see with the second solution is that "something" might be looking for the EFI partition where it currently is.....and if you move it, it won't be found.....but I don't know enough regarding this.....which is why I would think the first solution is safer.

USAFRet

Titan
Haven't tried that before :), but I might have missed the file systems once when I tried to install ubuntu on the same PC
Right now, that file system is a mess.

Disk 0 - System Reserved - G...that should NOT have a drive letter.
But it may be what the system is actually booting from.

All those other partitions...not optimal setup.

Try this disconnection and see how/if it boots up.

Nov 6, 2019
Right now, that file system is a mess.

Disk 0 - System Reserved - G...that should NOT have a drive letter.
But it may be what the system is actually booting from.

All those other partitions...not optimal setup.

Try this disconnection and see how/if it boots up.
Right, I'll get back to you once I have a chance to take out the HDD. Thanks man!

Nov 6, 2019
OK, I was thinking desktop.
In any case, you really really need to verify what it is currently booting from. In your Disk Management window, we can't truly tell.

It needs to be opened up to swap the drive anyway.
Yeah will do that as soon as I have a chance, will keep you updated, Thanks!!

Nov 6, 2019
Screenshot-86.png

Do you mean imaging as in this pic, where in mcarium reflect it offers to clone or image the whole disk. If so, may you explain how imaging the disk is different than cloning it. I am really sorry because I feel I am bothering you with all these dump questions, but I am really afraid of messing things up.