Close to the game server with high ping

Aug 18, 2018
Yeah.... I'm in Texas and the server is in California. I see other people love in the server city ase get at least 60ms and I'm stuck worth 100ms. My internet is pretty good so this confuses me. I used a speed test to California and it said my ping is supposed to be 40ms. Any suggestions?

Solution
If speedtest to the closest server to you gives good latency and speed results then it is not "your" connection causing the problem.

It is highly unlikely both you and the server buy services from the same ISP. If they did you might have a chance since traffic generally does not leave a ISP network unless there is no other option. If it was in your ISP network you might eventually find some engineer that you could harass long enough to fix it. In most cases though the problem is between ISP so you have no hope.

There really is no solution to this problem. Something that might work but will take a lot of research and testing is to use a VPN service. It should make no difference, in fact it should always be slower because of...
There is a program called ping plotter. If you know the IP address of the server you are trying to play on it will test every router on the path between you and the server and tell you where the slow down is.

The bad news is that if the router that is slowing you down isn't yours or your ISPs, then pretty much out of luck (unless you know Bill Gates).

Aug 18, 2018

If speedtest to the closest server to you gives good latency and speed results then it is not "your" connection causing the problem.

It is highly unlikely both you and the server buy services from the same ISP. If they did you might have a chance since traffic generally does not leave a ISP network unless there is no other option. If it was in your ISP network you might eventually find some engineer that you could harass long enough to fix it. In most cases though the problem is between ISP so you have no hope.

There really is no solution to this problem. Something that might work but will take a lot of research and testing is to use a VPN service. It should make no difference, in fact it should always be slower because of the overhead. You might get lucky and find a vpn that you have good speed to that also has good speed to the company.

I had this issue when I was using a smaller ISP. I was trying to access a server that was in the same city I was in where most server I would get 10ms this one I got 120ms. Seems they did not have good connectivity to another ISP and rather than pay to connect in multiple locations to that ISP they choose to only connect in a city far away. I got a vpn service in the city and they had direct connectivity to the other ISP that hosted the server.

Generally this method does not work in the USA you have to be very lucky. Most the so called "gamer" vpn services are for people in asia since many of those ISP do not always have access to the most optimum fiber paths. It should not cost a lot to buy a months service from a couple of the large vpn companies to test out. Some of these companies have a couple day money back policy. Avoid any of the so called free vpn companies.

Solution