[SOLVED] closed: Can't install windows 7 on PRIME B550M-A

kelmen

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
setting up a new rig using mobo Asus PRIME B550M-A , running Ryzen 5 3600.

at windows 7 installation 1st setup screen, keyboard and mouse not working.
googled this, basically try to on/off legacy support, etc. whatever i can match or guess relevant in this mob bios setting, though no avail.

bought usb-ps/2 converter, not working either, not even working in bios mode.

does anyone using similar mobo/chipset able to use the input devices in fresh win 7 installation through bios setup?

Solution
Why would you do that?
There is no more support for Win7...there is no drivers and there is no support for the CPU Either

"The new policy was announced in January of last year and revised slightly a couple of months later: Kaby Lake and Ryzen processors, and all new processors on an ongoing basis, would only be supported in Windows 10. Windows 7 and 8.1 would continue to support older processors, but their chip compatibility was frozen. "

That is a quote from 2017....
You wont be able to use 10% of that hardware in windows 7 even if you find USB drivers.
Why would you do that?
There is no more support for Win7...there is no drivers and there is no support for the CPU Either

"The new policy was announced in January of last year and revised slightly a couple of months later: Kaby Lake and Ryzen processors, and all new processors on an ongoing basis, would only be supported in Windows 10. Windows 7 and 8.1 would continue to support older processors, but their chip compatibility was frozen. "

That is a quote from 2017....
You wont be able to use 10% of that hardware in windows 7 even if you find USB drivers.

Solution
setting up a new rig using mobo Asus PRIME B550M-A , running Ryzen 5 3600.

at windows 7 installation 1st setup screen, keyboard and mouse not working.
googled this, basically try to on/off legacy support, etc. whatever i can match or guess relevant in this mob bios setting, though no avail.

bought usb-ps/2 converter, not working either, not even working in bios mode.

does anyone using similar mobo/chipset able to use the input devices in fresh win 7 installation through bios setup?
Ryzen not officially supported windows 7, they need windows 10.

Starting with intel Gen6 and Ryzen, both companies dropped right out of the box support for windows 7.

In order to install windows 7 you have to slipstream usb drivers into the install of windows 7, otherwise the usb ports wont work during the install. But like others have said with newer boards and cpus being released they are making it harder to near impossible to install windows 7 on newer tech.

kelmen

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
I'm doing that because I have a Win7 Pro retail disk.

I managed to resolve this in alternate approach, download win10 installer (from ms site) on thumb drive, boot from it, now input devices working as expected.
about 3-4 gb

the win7 pro cd key work for the win 10