Closed loop liquid cooler lifespan?

beckemd

Prominent
Feb 9, 2018
I have a Voodoo Cpu liquid cooler with a 240 mm radiator. It's part of my HP Blackbird circa 2007. I've reapplied thermal past over the years...and am retooling the chassis with modern equipment. What's the lifespan on these closed loop coolers? It sits in a case custom holder. Should I get a new one? thoughts are apprciated.
Dave in Chicago

Solution
it is an asetek made cooler. https://www.asetek.com/desktop/do-it-yourself/
back then they were rated for ~3 years due to:
1. pump bearing wear
2. liquid permeation
This specific model might be a bit more advanced and/or lightly used and with enough luck could be still perfectly fine.
Upgrading the HW means replacing all the internals (CPU/MB/RAM/GPU).
you are probably not going use 2 GPUs (at least you shouldn't for many reasons). and i doubt you'll be able to fit the GPU cooler on any modern card.
moreover, the CPU part mounting is designed for socket 775 which has a bit closer cooler mounting holes than modern intel CPUs and completely different from AMD. Not sure if you can find a mounting kit for this cooler.
So the simple answer...
it is an asetek made cooler. https://www.asetek.com/desktop/do-it-yourself/
back then they were rated for ~3 years due to:
1. pump bearing wear
2. liquid permeation
This specific model might be a bit more advanced and/or lightly used and with enough luck could be still perfectly fine.
Upgrading the HW means replacing all the internals (CPU/MB/RAM/GPU).
you are probably not going use 2 GPUs (at least you shouldn't for many reasons). and i doubt you'll be able to fit the GPU cooler on any modern card.
moreover, the CPU part mounting is designed for socket 775 which has a bit closer cooler mounting holes than modern intel CPUs and completely different from AMD. Not sure if you can find a mounting kit for this cooler.
So the simple answer is regardless of its state, you are probably going to replace it if you are going to use modern HW for upgrade.
You don't really have to go liquid, air cooling does the same or better job as 240mm AiOs. Air cooling usually works quieter compared to AiOs, also cheaper and infinitely more reliable.
Don't get me wrong, I love liquid cooling. It's just AiOs are mostly not giving anything meaningful over the air coolers.

Solution