Closing laptop's lid deactivates WiFi and reduces resolution for external monitor

Alaa_1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Hi everyone,

I connected my laptop to an external monitor with a VGA cable and a VGA to HDMI adapter (HDMI goes to the laptop).
Something very weird is happening:
When the laptop lid is up, the maximum resolution I can get for the external monitor is 1366x768. Now I configured in power options that nothing should happen when I close the laptop lid. So I close the lid, and then I can suddenly choose a 1080P resolution for the external monitor!
And another thing happens: I lose wifi connection when I close the lid. It says "no networks found".
Then I figured that closing the lid, puts the projection settings on "Second screen only" (makes sense), whereas when it's up, I chose "Duplicate". So I tried putting it on "Second screen only" while the lid is up, and voila I have full HD resolution again.
So 2 questions:
1. Is there a way I can have full HD res with duplicate mode? (this is less important - i'm just interested to know)
2. Why is the wifi lost when I close the lid although I chose "do nothing" on closing the lid? Can I keep the wifi on? (Windows shows that the wifi is actually on but it says no networks found)

Dell Inspiron 3521
Windows 8.1
External monitor MAG S22AW

Thanks