[SOLVED] Closing Ports on ASUS Blue Cave router

mazinoz

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I did a nmap on this router and it listed a lot of open ports especially related to printing.
nmap -PO 192.168.1.1
Starting Nmap 7.40 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2020-03-16 17:18 AEST
Nmap scan report for router.asus.com (192.168.1.1)
Host is up (0.0085s latency).
Not shown: 994 closed ports
PORT STATE SERVICE
22/tcp open ssh
53/tcp open domain
515/tcp open printer
2008/tcp open conf
8443/tcp open https-alt
9100/tcp open jetdirect
MAC Address: Guess.
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.94 seconds
I looked at the GUI to see if there was some way I could close these ports most of which I don't need. Has anyone done this? I use Windows 10 and LMDE 'Cindy' which I prefer. Alternatively can I do something in it's firewall settings to close them?
If you think I am being paranoid, nope, someone regularly tries to hack port 631 on LMDE which I close.
I would prefer to not get a hardware firewall if I can help it. At the moment I have NBN cable modem, ASUS Blue Cave, TP-LinkR600VPN, Cisco ATA-122, analogue phone system and I have to get two more Cisco switches for a course I'm doing! A lot of hardware for one person.

Solution
Those ports are open on the LAN side of the router. I hope you are not concerned about a hacker being hooked to your internal lan network.

You need to run one of the port scanners from web sites on the internet. You want to scan the WAN address.
Those ports are open on the LAN side of the router. I hope you are not concerned about a hacker being hooked to your internal lan network.

You need to run one of the port scanners from web sites on the internet. You want to scan the WAN address.

Solution

mazinoz

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Thanks for that, I was not sure. I also did a scan using www.grc.com but as I use a vpn it showed those results. All ports were stealthed or closed.
Time to relax! But thanks for confirming, I've just bought this router