Review Cloud Nine C989 ErgoFS Mechanical Split Keyboard Review: Ergonomic Without the Weird

turbotong

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
I've been wanting a mechanical version of the Ergonomic 4000 for a loooong time. I was this close ---> <--- to purchasing the C989. Had the credit card and shipping filled out.

Then I saw the messed up location of the Windows key in a review, and someone describing the difficulty in remapping it. Also the comments had a section about not being able to press keys simultaneously (it presses them quickly sequentially).

CLOUD9, WHY CANT YOU PUT THE WINDOWS KEY WHERE IT BELONGS??? ALSO, PROPER N-KEY ROLLOVER SUPPORT IS A MUST.

I've been wanting a mechanical version of the Ergonomic 4000 for a loooong time. I was this close ---> <--- to purchasing the C989. Had the credit card and shipping filled out.

Then I saw the messed up location of the Windows key in a review, and someone describing the difficulty in remapping it. Also the comments had a section about not being able to press keys simultaneously (it presses them quickly sequentially).

CLOUD9, WHY CANT YOU PUT THE WINDOWS KEY WHERE IT BELONGS??? ALSO, PROPER N-KEY ROLLOVER SUPPORT IS A MUST.
Where are you used to the windows key being located? Based on the pictures Ive seen this one is located the same as every keyboard Ive ever used.

Editer

Commendable
Apr 26, 2021

The Windows key is an easy swap -- just physically swap the key, and install an alternative firmware available on their website. Annoying to have to do it, but it's a one-time-and-forget-it operation.

N-key rollover works fine; the issue brought up in the comments on the Cloud 9 site has to do with creating combo-key macros with certain firmware versions.

Reactions: bigdragon

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
There is nothing ergonomic about this keyboard, keys are still staggered in a linear fashion with no curvature in x, y or z axis. This is mechanical and ergonomic:
iu

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
This is a well-timed review! I was just looking for an ergonomic mechanical keyboard. Seems like the options are very limited. This Cloud Nine C989 and the Kinesis Freestyle Edge were the ones I kept coming across. I've been thinking of buying one, but I have this nagging feeling that the C989 is too big. Might be ok. Reading a few reviews of people complaining about how far off to the side they had to put their mouse makes me hesitate. That is the price you pay for having the keypad, but there is also a lot of plastic edging to C9's design.

gamebynight

Commendable
Apr 27, 2021
Great review. This is the first time I've read anything about there being a response time difference between switches. Anyone have any more information on this?

turbotong

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
The Windows key is an easy swap -- just physically swap the key, and install an alternative firmware available on their website. Annoying to have to do it, but it's a one-time-and-forget-it operation.

N-key rollover works fine; the issue brought up in the comments on the Cloud 9 site has to do with creating combo-key macros with certain firmware versions.

My problem is that I need this for a secured work environment where admins don't allow users to run .exe files from untrusted sources. I can't run the firmware.