Cloverfield: Intel's Next-Next Tablet Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Given the nature of how many different sources are in arm and only intel in its atom, I have to admit they have come far fast. But Qualcomm is not going to sit down and let intel have this... Intel has its work cut out for them. But when the last device is standing I assume in a few years, nodoughtly it will say intel inside. They have a huge advantage in fabrication, and a high QC.. If intel hits the phone market, that could spell dome for samsung. Time will tell.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I think that Intel was surprised by how quickly the mobile market exploded and didn't have an answer. With their money and R&D, I don't doubt they can become competitive in the mobile space if they make a serious push.

Should be interesting...competition is always a good thing, right?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
considering how awesome intel has always been(in cpu market), I have no doubt that theyll blow ARM out of the water. However I dont think there will be alot of room for lots of competition in the mobile market. 2 is fine, 3 is pushing it. I dont know how AMD is gonna take this.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]I'm surprised I wasn't beaten to the punch on jokes...Will this processor destroy New York?[/citation]

and look like a giant flea-bat

azcoyote

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]considering how awesome intel has always been(in cpu market), I have no doubt that theyll blow ARM out of the water. However I dont think there will be alot of room for lots of competition in the mobile market. 2 is fine, 3 is pushing it. I dont know how AMD is gonna take this.[/citation]

Doubtful. x86 has some limitations when compared to ARM strictly speaking on target usage and market. ARM license pricing is aggressive and implementation is flexible. Google is to market with tablet and phone optimized software. Windows is behind of phone and tablet software. Intel has an uphill battle here...

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Alright, we all know Intel is completely capable of producing 32nm Cloverfield CPU's right now, so why don't they just skip all the money-milking bullshit and jump to it? We will buy that crap up!! We don't want this 1.5GHz crap when we know you are capable of producing higher-core/higher-clock CPU's.

I feel like thats all the CPU/GPU industry is nowadays, they are just slowly upping the performance in each generation, making it seem like there are "huge improvements", when in reality they are capable of massive performance boosts that a held back by a want to milk as much money possible. Why does everything always have to be about god damn money???

What about Innovation? Now thats something I will pay for.

ImagineTek

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Of course companies like Intel could produce mobile cpus with more grunt, but the rope around their waist here is power draw. Nobody wants a device that doesn't allow for a full days use, and tablet makers don't want to bulk up their devices with a larger battery to accommodate a power guzzling cpu. If someone came up with a breakthrough that doubled the efficiency of current battery technology, I think you'd see things move along much more quickly.

jinhan

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
We should wait and see how well will Medfield perform in this market, then we can have an estimation how Cloverfield can perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.