[SOLVED] CM Hyper TX3 evo still holds temperatures in 2021 ?

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Hi ,
I am planning to buy the AMD R5 3600 , and I am currently using an AMD a8 6600k over the years with a CM hyper tx3 evo cooler and the cpu never reached to more than 55ºc for as long I have it. The R5 3600 with my actual cpu cooler will be fine too ?
My actual case is a NOX coolbay sx blue , and I am not planning on changing it , all fans are placed , 2 front blowing air in and 1 top and rear blowing air out.

The objective will be for gaming at the most demanding thing ! Not thinking in OC .

Last edited:
Solution
no, the TX3 was designed when 65W TDP CPUs were the norm.
AMD recommends very few air coolers and most of them are much higher priced. You can get by with a Gammaxx 400 or 212 EVO, but the TX3 would be marginal at best

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
AMD recommends very few air coolers and most of them are much higher priced. You can get by with a Gammaxx 400 or 212 EVO, but the TX3 would be marginal at best
humm that´s bad :( , I just saw this video "
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX4XBJChPvU
" seems that the cpu on 2600 reaches to 70ºc on full load , I can exept much higher than this on the 3600 ?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amd isn't Intel. AMD actually sticks to its power limits with Ryzen in default mode. So a 65w 3600 will be ok with a 120w TX3.

It's when using PBO which can use motherboard vendor settings and not AMD recommended settings that things get out of hand.

Just remember that Ryzen is dynamically self governing. It starts lowering clock speeds and voltages at 60°C, because it realistically doesn't want to let you go up past @ 80°C, so performance with a lackluster cooler is going to be worse than a larger cooler, even if temps are identical.

So temps should be around normal ranges with the TX3, just don't expect miricles of performance, the cpu will throttle itself to keep wattage to a minimum.

Reactions: SamirD

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
I have ordered the now famous on YouTube , vetroo v5 😂 , because seems to have the same performance as the hyper 212 and is smaller and came with the rgb lights for fps boost 😂😂😂.

Btw you're right, the tx3 evo gets to 76 °c in like 1 min on aida 64 stability test , so I will change it and will not test it any more than 1 min this way...

humm that´s bad :( , I just saw this video "
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX4XBJChPvU
" seems that the cpu on 2600 reaches to 70ºc on full load , I can exept much higher than this on the 3600 ?
70C on full load really isn't bad at all for a modern CPU. Nothing to worry about until it starts pushing above 90C (Tjmax for 2600's is 95C).

But....that stock cooler is probably screaming pretty loudly by then. It is nice to hold to 70C AND have whisper quiet.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Age is irrelevant. The Tx3 was designed as a replacement for 50-65w cpus and could handle upto 120w in short bursts. Unfortunately, times have changed and designations have changed too, a 65w cpu now in reality puts out somewhat more and for longer periods of time.

The Tx3 is good for an i3 or r3, but realistically you should be looking at max power consumption (not TDP) and then choosing a cooler 1.5x-2x that number.

Reactions: Rui Neves

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Age is irrelevant. The Tx3 was designed as a replacement for 50-65w cpus and could handle upto 120w in short bursts. Unfortunately, times have changed and designations have changed too, a 65w cpu now in reality puts out somewhat more and for longer periods of time.

The Tx3 is good for an i3 or r3, but realistically you should be looking at max power consumption (not TDP) and then choosing a cooler 1.5x-2x that number.
That 's what I wanted to say when said that the cooler is already old .

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It reaches to almost the 90°c on r5 3600
Ahh. See that's the issue. That temp is technically still within acceptable limits according to the cpu. It's not thermally throttled as such, it's already down clocked threads to stay 'under budget' while still maintaining some semblance of performance.

Doesn't necessarily mean those temps or that performance are acceptable to you. Ryzens start dropping 50-100MHz boost limits from threads starting at 60°C, just a slight drop in performance but a measurable drop in voltages and temps per core.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Ahh. See that's the issue. That temp is technically still within acceptable limits according to the cpu. It's not thermally throttled as such, it's already down clocked threads to stay 'under budget' while still maintaining some semblance of performance.

Doesn't necessarily mean those temps or that performance are acceptable to you. Ryzens start dropping 50-100MHz boost limits from threads starting at 60°C, just a slight drop in performance but a measurable drop in voltages and temps per core.
I know , I just like to mantain the temperaturas not Higher than 70's

TRENDING THREADS