CM ML240R RGB is 3 pin.... Asus x370-f mobo has 4 pin RGB headers

May 24, 2018
Title says most of it. The ML240R has a 3 pin splitter that won't fit into my 4 pin RGB header on my mobo. I want to know how to get this AIO to sync with AURA so that the AIO will will actually match the rest of the lighting.

Products I am talking about:

Mobo: https://www.amazon.com/ROG-Strix-X370-F-GAMING-DisplayPort/dp/B071ZHCF41/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527208840&sr=8-1&keywords=x370-f

AIO: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterLiquid-Addressable-MLX-D24M-A20PC-R1/dp/B079K244KZ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1527208881&sr=1-1&keywords=ml240r

The included rgb controller has a straight 4 pin 5050 connection on the bottom left.

4 pin header cable from this to the motherboard rgb header (i don't know if you get such a cable included ?)
Then press the square button the the controller , a led will light up on the left hand side & anything connected then becomes controllable by the board rather than the controller itself.

They're 3 pin addressable led's.

Ground , live & data.

Your board has traditional 4 pin 5050 headers.
Red, green,blue & live.

You have to do what I said before , 3 pin addressable led's to the controller & a 4 pin standard 5050 rgg cable from the controller to the board.

The controller will then convert from 5050 to addressable colour wise.

Screenshot_2018-05-25-18-36-09.png

Bottom left of the controller.

May 24, 2018

I gave what you said a shot and it still isn't syncing with AURA. My other replay was to mike who thought that I was mistaking my fan connectors with the rgb ones.

I appreciate the help so far by the way, but unfortunately its still not working :(

Sep 6, 2018
I'm experiencing the same issue that you're describing above. I've just purchase 4 of the MasterFan MF120R ARGB fans and their 3-pin ARGB connector is not directly compatible with the 4-pin 5050 header on my motherboard (ASUS Prime X470-Pro). The controller that you reference in the solution above seems to be exactly what I need but I can't seem to find it anywhere online. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!

May 24, 2018

I tried looking around but dont see them selling the controller separately. You should contact CM and ask if they sell the controller that comes with the ML240R separately. Hope you can find it.

Sep 6, 2018
The short answer is that I don't believe so.

I went ahead ahead purchased the ML120R as it was the only way to get my hands on the ARGB Controller and I was looking to add liquid cooling anyway. Upon setting it up, it did not allow me to control the RGB lighting of the MF120R and ML120R through the AURA control panel (i.e., through the motherboard). Is seems the issue is that my ASUS X470 has a 12V 5050 4-Pin RGB header and not the 5V 3-Pin ARGB Header that some mbs have that would allow it to work.

I do have a service ticket into Cooler Master to confirm that this is the issue but I have not yet received a response. I will say though that the lighting on the MF120R's and the ML120R look fantastic and I'll probably just control them through the Cooler Master Adressable RGB Controller Software which isn't too bad.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
My reading of the info on these ML240R RGB fans is that you can NOT connect them to that mobo to allow the Aura Sync system to control them.

The system used in the ML240R fans is an ADDRESSABLE RGB system, which is not compatible with the plain RGB system used with 5050 type RGB lighting strips. The RGB lights in those fans have cables from each fan that must plug into RGB ports on the Controller module included with the fans. Controller manual is available if you click on the "Downloads" item on this page

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-ml240r-rgb/

That Controller has some manual control buttons of its own for changing the displays, and a few cable connections to be made. In addition, IF you connect the leads from your front panel RESET button to the correct socket on one side of the Controller, that front panel button becomes the way to switch RGB display modes manually, instead of having to reach the Controller box inside your case.

Since this is an ADDRESSABLE RGB system, the Controller also has the ability to accept display controls from the correct mobo header, driven by software on the mobo like the Aura Sync system. BUT that Aura Sync software can be used with EITHER the simpler RGB (4-pin header) system, OR the ADD RGB (3-pin header). Only the latter type of header can send the required signals to that Hub. BUT the mobo you have does NOT include that ADD RGB header - it has only the other type. So, your mobo cannot send the ADD-type control signals to the controller for these fans. Yo will have to use the manual control options of that Controller.

ASUS makes mobos with only plain RGB headers (like the one you site), some with only the ADD RGB headers, and some with both types.

Sep 6, 2018
Thank you for your feedback.

I did finally hear back from Cooler Master and they did confirm the same thing that only MB's with the 5V 3-pin ARGB header can communicate with the ARGB Controller.

Would you happen to know which ASUS AM4 MB's have either the 3-Pin ARGB header or both headers?

Thank you!

Sep 16, 2018
But do you know if it`s possible to connect any other 3pin rgb thing to the controller and controll them with it because i need a solution for a motherboard without a 3 pin header and a argb thing.

Sep 6, 2018
I've read through comments that were posted on the Cooler Master website and elsewhere and people have in fact made it work with the 5V 3-pin ARGB Header on an ASUS MB although the performance sounds like its a bit flaky.

Sep 6, 2018
Reread your question. I don't know of any devices that will allow you to run an ARGB device off a 12V RGB 4-Pin Header on your MB. That said, there are standalone controllers that will allow you to run ARGB devices, the Cooler Master ARGB Controller being one of them...you just have to use their software to control it. It does seem to work pretty well but only controls Cooler Master fans and devices. Only problem is that it only comes as part of a kit along with the ML120R or ML240R liquid coolers.

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-ml120r-rgb/

I'm planning to check out the NZXT Hue+ to see how that works.

https://www.amazon.com/NZXT-Hue-Advanced-Lighting-AC-HUEPS-M1/dp/B018YZ0H1O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537466647&sr=8-3&keywords=hue+plus

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
mbodon, you asked, "Would you happen to know which ASUS AM4 MB's have either the 3-Pin ARGB header or both headers?"

I went to the ASUS website, chose Products... Motherboards, then clicked on the "magnifying glass" Search icon at upper right and searched for "Addressable RGB Header". It gave me a list of 31 items. A quick check indicates it includes ones with only that header type plus ones with both header types.

Sep 16, 2018

I only get to the FAQ then

captianaces

Commendable
Nov 19, 2018

Where would I find connectors to the addresible 3 pin rgb ports as I only have a female 4 pin header to plug into it.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, more details to clarify. The website for your MasterLiquid ML240R RGB AIO cooler system is here

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-ml240r-rgb/

On that page in the grey bar across the top, click on "Download" and it will pop up a menu of items. Click on the ARGB Controller User Manual and it will offer to download (or just open) a .pdf file about the controller that should have been included in your kit. The diagrams in it are the ones that madmatt30 has shown above. Check to be sure the controller you have is the one in that manual.

The controller is the converting interface between the mobo 4-pin RGB header you have and the several ADDR RGB lighting systems in your fans and the pump unit. The controller outputs ADDR RGB lighting signals on its four output ports that you use to connect the fan and pump RGB connectors. It has a power input that must be connected to a SATA power output from the PSU. It has a USB2 port so you can connect it to a mobo USB2 header so it con communicate with the mobo, allowing you to use the CoolerMaster software utility to control what the Controller sends out. It also is designed cleverly to accept control signals from a mobo RGB header of EITHER the 4-pin plain RGB type OR the 3-pin ADDR RGB type. When you choose to connect it this way, you do not use the CoolerMaster software. To make that connection, the kit should have come with a cable you can use between the mobo RGB 4-pin header and ONE of the sockets on the bottom of the Controller. See the manual's Diagram 12 - you would use only the "RGB Motherboard Port"with 4 pins to connect to your mobo's 4pin header.

THEN you need to set the Controller to USE that signal from the mobo. See manual diagrams 3-5, and note the second button from the top used to select the RGB Mode. Each time you press this button it just switches between the Standard RGB Mode (4-pin) which is the Mode you want, and the Addressable RGB Mode (3-pin) which you do NOT want.

So, check all the cables that came with your AIO kit. There ought to be one to connect power to the SATA power input port, a cable to connect from the Controller's USB port to a mobo USB2 header, one 4-pin cable to connect to the mobo RGB header (THIS is the one you need), and one cable to connect to a mobo 3-pin ADDR RGB header (you do not have this header type).

If suggest this, to avoid possible clash of software signals: CHOOSE whether to use the mobo's control signals from its RGB header to the controller (via the Aura Sync system of the mobo with its software) OR to use the CoolerMaster software via the USB2 connection to the controller. Connect only one of the cables used for these two systems so that the other system does not try to send competing signals to the Controller box. I suggest further that you try each of these choices separately. My suspicion is that you can achieve more complex RGB displays using the CoolerMaster software and the USB2 connection, because the plain RGB (4-pin) system of the mobo header cannot do all the fancy stuff an ADDR RGB system can. But you should try both and decide which ONE to use.

Reactions: xastunts

xastunts

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
OK, more details to clarify. The website for your MasterLiquid ML240R RGB AIO cooler system is here

On that page in the grey bar across the top, click on "Download" and it will pop up a menu of items. Click on the ARGB Controller User Manual and it will offer to download (or just open) a .pdf file about the controller that should have been included in your kit. The diagrams in it are the ones that madmatt30 has shown above. Check to be sure the controller you have is the one in that manual.

The controller is the converting interface between the mobo 4-pin RGB header you have and the several ADDR RGB lighting systems in your fans and the pump unit. The controller outputs ADDR RGB lighting signals on its four output ports that you use to connect the fan and pump RGB connectors. It has a power input that must be connected to a SATA power output from the PSU. It has a USB2 port so you can connect it to a mobo USB2 header so it con communicate with the mobo, allowing you to use the CoolerMaster software utility to control what the Controller sends out. It also is designed cleverly to accept control signals from a mobo RGB header of EITHER the 4-pin plain RGB type OR the 3-pin ADDR RGB type. When you choose to connect it this way, you do not use the CoolerMaster software. To make that connection, the kit should have come with a cable you can use between the mobo RGB 4-pin header and ONE of the sockets on the bottom of the Controller. See the manual's Diagram 12 - you would use only the "RGB Motherboard Port"with 4 pins to connect to your mobo's 4pin header.

THEN you need to set the Controller to USE that signal from the mobo. See manual diagrams 3-5, and note the second button from the top used to select the RGB Mode. Each time you press this button it just switches between the Standard RGB Mode (4-pin) which is the Mode you want, and the Addressable RGB Mode (3-pin) which you do NOT want.

So, check all the cables that came with your AIO kit. There ought to be one to connect power to the SATA power input port, a cable to connect from the Controller's USB port to a mobo USB2 header, one 4-pin cable to connect to the mobo RGB header (THIS is the one you need), and one cable to connect to a mobo 3-pin ADDR RGB header (you do not have this header type).

If suggest this, to avoid possible clash of software signals: CHOOSE whether to use the mobo's control signals from its RGB header to the controller (via the Aura Sync system of the mobo with its software) OR to use the CoolerMaster software via the USB2 connection to the controller. Connect only one of the cables used for these two systems so that the other system does not try to send competing signals to the Controller box. I suggest further that you try each of these choices separately. My suspicion is that you can achieve more complex RGB displays using the CoolerMaster software and the USB2 connection, because the plain RGB (4-pin) system of the mobo header cannot do all the fancy stuff an ADDR RGB system can. But you should try both and decide which ONE to use.

sorry for reviving perhaps what you guys think is a closed case! but I really feel the need I have to! so apologizes in advance for the offended ones out there! :D . Im researching about getting some ARGB fans (3PIN 5V) to my asus z270a prime motherboard which is a (4PIN 12V) RGB header connector.
now first of all! let me give the gratitude to you for giving this very informative reply that really sets this topic on the sticky note IMO. what I want to add is that there is a user that have commented on a youtube video regarding this Cooler master minihub controller ARGB controller to be correct. he has mentioned that there is no USB2 connection to the controller cable included in the package. I cannot verify this as I have yet not dare to order this product. what is my more big concern is not really only about if the light will shine as it should with this controller hub, but about the voltage differences from my motherboard its connecting this with the output of 12v from its 4 pin into the controller then the controller must transform this into 5v and feed the ARGB fans connected to the controller. if it doesnt do this correctly then the many hundred dollars of fans are all burnt and rubbish to use or if lucky only the colors are rubbish and the fans actually might still fan. anyway this is a risk I wouldnt take unless I hear some positive feedback that there is nothing to worry about regerding this matter. thank you really for any kind of feedback i can get to make my purchase be a compatible one. ARGB fans are not cheap where i live, and my best option as to buy a computer case including the ARGB fans on the go! thank you for any help! cheers!!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
For a first small point, almost all "RGB Fans" or "ARGB Fans" have TWO separate cables coming out, because such units really have two different devices in one unit. One device is the fan motor, and it has its own cable ending in a 3- or 4-pin fan connector. This normally connects to a fan header on your mobo that powers and controls the fan motor only. The unit also has mounted in its frame some LED lights in three colours (Red, Green, Blue) and for that there is a separate cable ending in a female connector with either 4 holes in a straight line (for the plain RGB system that uses 12 VDC power) or 3 holes (like the 4-hole layout, but with one hole blocked off) for the Addressable RGB system that uses 5 VDC power. That cable MAY plug into a mobo RGB header IF your mobo has one, and IF the header is of the SAME type (4-pin 12 VDC or 3-pn 5 VDC) as your lighting devices in the fan. Or it may plug into a completely separate RGB or ARGB Controller unit that is NOT part of your mobo. Either way (mobo header or separate Controller), this system provides both power and control to the LIGHTING units only in the fan. And of course, you MUST match the Controller type (4- or 3-pin) to the lighting device type you have. The differences in the connectors make it difficult to do it wrong. This part has NOTHING to do with the cable for the fan MOTOR.

xastunts, if you plan to get fans with ARGB lighting in them for use with a mobo that has ONLY a plain RGB header I suggest you get a third-party Controller for the ARGB lighting portions of the fans, and do not bother with the mobo header of the wrong type. Often your best source of a suitable ARGB Controller is from the maker of the ARGB fans you are buying, but it does not have to be. However, some makers use different connectors, so getting a Controller from the company that made the fans solves that issue. There are several types of such Controllers. The simplest have a small box attached to the controller unit by a wire, and manual buttons on the box that you use to make lighting changes. Some have instead a manual button box that uses a radio signal to reach the controller rather than a wire, but it is still a manual control system. The fanciest systems use a cable from the Controller box to a mobo USB2 header, and software you download from the maker and run to give you software control of the lighting effects. The system uses the USB2 connection to communicate between the software running on the mobo and the Controller box.

Some of these software-operated Controller boxes also have an option to connect a second cable from the Controller to a mobo RGB or ARGB header, and let you use the mobo's software, rather than the Controller makers' software, to control the lighting effects.This is especially handy when you have several lighting devices to control, and only one or two RGB headers. It can also be useful if you like the particular lighting displays one software package does better than what the other can do. Most commonly when this second cable connection option exists, it is for using the SAME mobo control system as the Controller does. That is, IF you have a Controller that is for the plain RGB (4-pin 12 VDC) system and that's the lighting device type you have, then the Controller can ONLY accept and use signals from a mobo plain RGB header.

The particular Cooler Master Controller I referred to in my post above has a feature that is NOT common. It has TWO input ports for connecting to mobo headers - one for plain RGB, and one for ARGB. It is NOT completely clear to me whether that means that this Controller can actually translate the signals from a plain RGB mobo header for use in the ARGB lighting system it is designed for, but I don't see why they would have this port otherwise. However, the types of lighting displays possible with a plain RGB system are not nearly so complex as those available from ARGB. So even if this "translation" thing does work, using it would reduce the complexity and impact of your lighting displays. You would be better to use the full capabilities of the ARGB system by using the Cooler Master software to control things through that Controller and the USB2 connection.

Reactions: xastunts

xastunts

Prominent
Jun 16, 2017
thank you for your well explained reply paperdoc!
I have actually learned alot from reading all of this replies in this topic, and also by my google techniques I have.

I have ordered an ARGB Desktop computer case which comes with 2 big ARGB fans of 200mm.
Thermaltake Command C31 . this case has a thermaltake built in controller that I have been told will be able to connect the fans and can control the lights with the RGB button on the case.

I also want to add that Im going to run this on the Asus z270a prime motherboard. it has aura sync. and it has some kind of led built in on the motherboard that can show some fancy colors to (RGB)

since I do have only RGB header the 4pin 12V (DC direct current as you even added), my only hope is to connect this to the usb 2.0 header for software control and also the fan connectors for fan speed control. I would rather prefer a software ofcourse, but IF this is the only way and the lights will have a few cycles to choose from,but I atleast get total control of the fan speed, I will be more than happy! not needing a fancy ARGB controller really. well unless im deciding I need more fans and buy those kit and bundles with 3 to 5 fans including the controller. but then my thoughts is that it will not be the best option since I dont think the thermaltake fans are the best for the price, and given if I buy another brand with their controller I wont be able to connect these TT fans to the other brand controller. in the computer world its never an easy way out. we get options and then we make decisions, we simply cant have it all! haha. thanks for your input buddy! always appreciated.

Last edited: