CM V6GT Question

Nightbound

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Merry Christmas first off everyone!

Got a quick question. This morning I had a fan go out on my V6 GT, and with that being said obviously I'd like to replace it. However I am thinking about just replacing both fans for some Green or Red LED fans. Just curious if anyone has a solid recommendation? I'd prefer to buy from Newegg, but being that the cost of fan's really is so little compared to other parts, I'm not gonna really be too picky on that. More or Less just wanna find a good solid solution to maintain solid Airflow w/o too much noise :)

Some info on the fan's currently installed:

- They are 120 MM, so obvously any replacement would have to follow suit
- The one I removed is using a 4-Pin Connector, I'll be honest idk how important that is not exactly an expert, but I am assuming 3 or 4 pin would work regardless?
- They snap on, they are not screwed

If I can provide anything else to be helpful please lemme know I truly appreciate your time in advance :)

papablista

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
A 3or4 pin will work but the 4th pin is for Pulse-width modulation (PWM) is a common method of controlling computer fans. A PWM-capable fan is usually connected to a 4-pin connector (pinout: Ground, +12V, sense, control). The sense pin is used to relay the rotation speed of the fan and the control pin is an open-drain or open-collector output, which requires a pull-up to 5V or 3.3V in the fan.
The control signal is a square wave operating at 25kHz, with the duty cycle determining the fan speed. Typically a fan can be driven between about 30% and 100% of the rated fan speed, using a signal with up to 100% duty cycle. The exact speed behaviour at low control levels is manufacturer dependent. So it depends on how your fans are set up in your BIOS if you replace a 4 pin with a 3 pin in most DELL(sic)PC's it will report a CPU fan error and shutdown.

:sol: