CMD err msg: The system cannot execute the specified progr..

Alec

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

Hi there,

I have been using cmd prompt to launch Excel spreadsheets and Word documents
for a long time, under both W2K and Windows XP.

However, my computer suddenly stopped to provide this functionality today,
and showing the error message

The system cannot execute the specified program.

when I tried to launch an Excel file in the command-line environment.

How to solve the problem?

Thanks,
Alec

Have you tried repairing Excel or Office, have you tried removing and
reinstalling Excel or Office?

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Alec" <Alec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I have been using cmd prompt to launch Excel spreadsheets and Word
> documents
> for a long time, under both W2K and Windows XP.
>
> However, my computer suddenly stopped to provide this functionality today,
> and showing the error message
>
> The system cannot execute the specified program.
>
> when I tried to launch an Excel file in the command-line environment.
>
> How to solve the problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Alec

Alec

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

There is nothing to do with repairing Office -- all application files (.xls
..txt and etc) cannot be launched from the command-line now.

Thanks,
Alec

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Have you tried repairing Excel or Office, have you tried removing and
> reinstalling Excel or Office?
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Alec" <Alec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I have been using cmd prompt to launch Excel spreadsheets and Word
> > documents
> > for a long time, under both W2K and Windows XP.
> >
> > However, my computer suddenly stopped to provide this functionality today,
> > and showing the error message
> >
> > The system cannot execute the specified program.
> >
> > when I tried to launch an Excel file in the command-line environment.
> >
> > How to solve the problem?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alec

Do they work from the defined application shortcuts on the desktop and/or
start menu?
--

> There is nothing to do with repairing Office -- all application files
> (.xls
> .txt and etc) cannot be launched from the command-line now.
>
> Thanks,
> Alec
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Have you tried repairing Excel or Office, have you tried removing and
>> reinstalling Excel or Office?
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Alec" <Alec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > I have been using cmd prompt to launch Excel spreadsheets and Word
>> > documents
>> > for a long time, under both W2K and Windows XP.
>> >
>> > However, my computer suddenly stopped to provide this functionality
>> > today,
>> > and showing the error message
>> >
>> > The system cannot execute the specified program.
>> >
>> > when I tried to launch an Excel file in the command-line environment.
>> >
>> > How to solve the problem?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Alec

TRENDING THREADS