cmd.exe Application Error on Shutdown

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jimono123

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2013
Hey Tom's Hardware Folks,

I have a question that I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me with. I recently wiped my rig after installing two new hard drives and a second GPU. I went through a complicated ordeal to finally get things set up the way I wanted and things seem to be working correctly now, but for some reason every time I go to shut down my computer, a few seconds before Windows 7 actually closes down, I recieve the following error prompt:

"
cmd.exe Application Error

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application.

OK
"

Mind you, this prompt only stays open for several seconds and does not prevent windows from closing. I'm mostly just concerned that this is pointing to some underlying issue with my setup that may or may not show itself at a later point. If I do need to reinstall Windows or something, I'd like to get that part done sooner than later. If nothing else, it's a bit annoying to see every time I shut my computer down.

That being said, here's what I've been working on since I started everything so hopefully this may shed some light on the issue for everyone:

-I recently added a second GTX 780 SC to my rig for an SLI setup as well as a new 250GB SSD and a 4TB HDD.

-I use the Windows 7 upgrade so I have to install Windows XP first, get it to the point that it's authenticated, and then I can install the Windows 7 upgrade (yeah, it's kind of a pain).

-For some reason when I initially installed Windows 7, it by default created the system boot files on part of my 4TB hard drive so I couldn't set it up as GPT in order to take advantage of the full capacity without having to have multiple partitions. I tried wiping and reinstalling both Windows XP and Windows 7 several times as I troubleshot the issue. The solution for this ended up being that I had to manually unplug all my other hard drives except my 250GB SSD and get Windows 7 completely set up on that, then one by one plug my other HDDs and SSD back in and format them via Windows 7 Disk Management utility.

-I first noticed the error message appearing when I had to do one of the Windows 7 restarts required for Windows Update changes to take affect, though I have been running my machine for quite awhile and making quite a few changes to things during this time so it may have been triggered earlier than that and that was just the first time I noticed the issue.

-I noted that the message was for "cmd.exe" which I thought was the Windows Command Prompt utility, so I tried seeing if I could access it, which I seem to have no issues doing.

-I also went through and performed several SSD optimizations based off of the information on this site (http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/) though I've done many of these before on past clean installs with no issue. Some of these involve making slight modifications to the registry, disabling a few select services, disabling Windows backup services, changing power settings, etc.

Any help that anyone can provide with this would be much appreciated. I'm hoping it's a simple fix but we'll see. There doesn't seem to be much out there that I could find Googleing the issue as this seems to be a fairly specific issue. Anyway, thanks again for everyone's help. I appreciate it.

Brian

Sturmgewehr_44

Honorable
Jul 21, 2014
Interesting...I just checked for updates using Geforce Experience and as I was doing so, the cmd window popped up momentarily.

This obviously means Geforce Experience is running some sort of commandline in the background whilst it is running. Normally, it should not be doing this. It has no need to.

I blame Micro$oft yet again...

When are they going to address this (if ever), and roll out a hotfix?

mgx42

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
Well I just got home from work and GeForce Experience had an update waiting for me. It must have been a small update because it did not take long to go through the update process at all. I just restarted my computer about five times and no more error! I'm assuming this update from Nvidia was a fix. Can anyone else verify this as well?

Sturmgewehr_44

Honorable
Jul 21, 2014
The Geforce Experience update that was released today fixed the Cmd.exe error for me.

Can anyone else verify if this worked for them?

Edit: Damn, you beat me to it :)

At least Nvidia listens a bit. Micro$oft, what nerve...

jimono123

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2013
I wish I had a better explanation as to why the issue has gone away for me but ever since a few days after starting this post, I encountered the issue several times but then it just seemed to go away. I know that I did a number of things including Windows updates and I believe a few NVidia driver updates but I have not encountered this issue since. What's interesting though but possibly completely unrelated is that I'm now encountering an issue where starting up my computer lets me see the BIOS screen but then Windows doesn't seem to load at all. If I shut the computer off and then turn the computer back on a second time, it then seems to load Windows just fine; but only after shutting it off and turning it back on. Anyway, I started another thread about this issue here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2466883/windows-starting-initial-power.html

Is this occurring for anyone else? Thanks again everyone.

jojo21

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

jojo21

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
well go to cmd.exe to fix that problem so then you do start then start again then one more time then do color a then do tree then you can hack in to your computer and then find the virus