CMD not removing a file. Windows 10 build 10586.14

jasonmosby

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Ok so this is odd but I have a file that I want to delete but it wouldn't so I tried CMD with no luck I even tried it as administrator. I then tried unlocker to remove the file but it just froze up trying to. then I tried checking if the file was still there by doing dir in cmd and it was. Then I tried to see the properties of the file but it wouldn't show it. I have restarted multiple times. The green loading bar ontop of the file explorer never finishes loading when viewing the folder with the file in it. Even trying the same methods of deleting with the folder were no success. Putting a different file in that folder will allow me to delete it just fine.I have tried going into safe mode and doing all the above steps with no luck either. Hopefully I have explained everything as clearly as possible. Incase you were wondering it is an AVI file created with dxtory. I have NEVER had this issue before with dxtory untill now.

EDIT: Scanned computer for viruses with nothing found.

Edit 2: PC specs:

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB STOCK
CPU: AMD FX 8350 STOCK
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
HDD 1: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM <---- File is on this one.
HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Optical drive: Some lightscribe from previous PC
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
Power Supply: Corsair 600W
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6"

Solution
If it happens again, you may want to use WinDirStat (free download) to identify and delete unwanted files. Not long ago I noticed that my Acronis True Image backups were getting larger and larger even though I hadn't installed or added anything of significance other than Windows updates. I was able to identify some large files created by some webcams I look at using Windows Explorer, and delete them. I don't know if using Chrome to view the webcams still creates the files, but I am now using Chrome so I will check to see if that makes a difference.

jasonmosby

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I manged to fix it by just doing a system restore. Thankfully I only lost a couple items that are easily retrievable. If any experts out there have any idea as to why this happened I would love to know.

jasonmosby

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

The file is a .AVI file and it got there from a program called dxtory that records gameplay when I finish recording it is placed in a specified location on my PC. I received no messages what so ever when trying to delete the file. The file was not in use cause I restarted the PC and the program that I use to record does not start on startup. I am the administrator of this system and the only account on this system. I tried running every form of deleting the file with administrator access aswell with no luck. Hopefully I can find the solution to this issue to prevent it from happening again.

Edit: Thanks for the link, has some pretty interesting things.

If it happens again, you may want to use WinDirStat (free download) to identify and delete unwanted files. Not long ago I noticed that my Acronis True Image backups were getting larger and larger even though I hadn't installed or added anything of significance other than Windows updates. I was able to identify some large files created by some webcams I look at using Windows Explorer, and delete them. I don't know if using Chrome to view the webcams still creates the files, but I am now using Chrome so I will check to see if that makes a difference.

Solution