[SOLVED] CMD randomly popping up every couple minutes

Solution
I honestly don't remember, it has been happening nearly a year now.. I just finally decided I would ask around and see if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do to stop it besides formatting the drive
a year?

Well, generally, something like this comes from installing malicious software from bogus sources.

Personally, I would do a full wipe and reinstall.
No question.
If a valued family member came to me with this same issue, I'd say (and do) the same.

Toddjy

Prominent
Jan 16, 2021
not rly, its a virus, trojans are using regasm all the time, see that cmd title? it shows file location, file name sounds like virus to me :)
Whenever I enter "C:\Users\toddy\AppData\roaming\gfjefta" I get this popup saying that I am attempting to open up a type of system file (.sys) and that I should choose an app to open it

Toddjy

Prominent
Jan 16, 2021
Whenever I enter "C:\Users\toddy\AppData\roaming\gfjefta" I get this popup saying that I am attempting to open up a type of system file (.sys) and that I should choose an app to open it
Also when I search for "gfjefta" in C:\Users\toddy\AppData\roaming\ it isn't able to find the file

Toddjy

Prominent
Jan 16, 2021
What was the last thing you did before this started happening?
I honestly don't remember, it has been happening nearly a year now.. I just finally decided I would ask around and see if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do to stop it besides formatting the drive

USAFRet

Titan
a year?

Well, generally, something like this comes from installing malicious software from bogus sources.

Personally, I would do a full wipe and reinstall.
No question.
If a valued family member came to me with this same issue, I'd say (and do) the same.

Reactions: Toddjy
Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Wow, a whole year.

I sure hope that whomever you were benefitting all this time using your machine for malicious code at least sends you a t shirt, or a Christmas card, or something. I mean, by now they certainly know how to find you and such.

You should probably consider changing every single password to any and everything that was ever accessed on that PC as well.
I honestly find it astounding that nothing has come of it in that amount of time.

Toddjy

Prominent
Jan 16, 2021
Wow, a whole year.

I sure hope that whomever you were benefitting all this time using your machine for malicious code at least sends you a t shirt, or a Christmas card, or something. I mean, by now they certainly know how to find you and such.

You should probably consider changing every single password to any and everything that was ever accessed on that PC as well.
I honestly find it astounding that nothing has come of it in that amount of time.
Damn, I honestly had no idea.. what do you mean use my PC for malicious code? None of my accounts, bank account and so forth has been touched so I figured if I did have a virus something would of happened but like you said, there are other reasons they may use my PC.

Also should I wipe all the drives connected to the PC? I have two SSDs and one hard drive with a lot of my games/photos on there.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Damn, I honestly had no idea.. what do you mean use my PC for malicious code? None of my accounts, bank account and so forth has been touched so I figured if I did have a virus something would of happened but like you said, there are other reasons they may use my PC.

Also should I wipe all the drives connected to the PC? I have two SSDs and one hard drive with a lot of my games/photos on there.

The thing is, you don't know. You have no idea what they have on you and what they are doing with it. Anything and everything you did on that PC could be in their hands. And it might be nothing at all, but you want to risk that?

Perhaps you don't have the threshold of monies or accounts on hand right now that they wish to strike, etc. Think of it from a bad guy, best moment type perspective. I absolutely might be making more of it than it is...but what if I am not.

USAFRet

Titan

Just a couple of examples:

Using your system to mine crypto.
Using your system as a jumping point for a botnet or DDOS attack on someone else.
Capturing and uploading whatever passwords it can find. Just because you've not seen any weird bank activity yet, does not mean that all is OK.

Toddjy

Prominent
Jan 16, 2021
That CMD window popping up every once in a while is NOT normal. It came from somewhere, and does something.

Whenever I reboot my PC it is the first thing that's open on my desktop, then it disappears. I am currently getting ready to wipe everything as suggested and change all my passwords and info.

Would you recommend I wipe everything on my other drives as well? I just had games on those drives.

USAFRet

Titan
Whenever I reboot my PC it is the first thing that's open on my desktop, then it disappears. I am currently getting ready to wipe everything as suggested and change all my passwords and info.

Would you recommend I wipe everything on my other drives as well? I just had games on those drives.
Games from valid sources are easy to get again.
I probably would wipe ALL drives.

Install with only a single drive connected.

Blackink

Distinguished
I had the same problem after I installed Avast antivirus downloaded from a reputable Web site.
Kept getting that CMD window when my computer would start up, but only saw it for a few seconds.
I uninstalled Avast and the problem was gone.