Cmos battery already dead

jompz34

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014
Hello i replaced my cmos battery 1 year ago and now it seems that it is already dead im starting to loose time and when i start the computer the time is wrong and i need to sync it again.

I now it is very easy to replace cmos battery and that is no problem for me but its very strange that it is gone just after 1 year of service.

Solution
don't know ?? unless something with the board or hardware [like you said the hard drive needs it to keep the time and all on it when computer is off ] shorting and causing a hard drain on the battery some way ??

may google what runs on the battery when the computer is off and get a idea on what does ?? off hand its a head scratcher --

some motherboard sit in stock for a long time before sold and that may be part of the first battery going down fast or may of gotten near dead ??

all you can do is research this and see how the new battery lasts ? but seems to me I don't guess I ever had to replace one on my stuff.

when the battery goes dead your boards bios should be reseting to default each time you start the computer...
be sure you check the date on the new battery package you may of got unlucky and got some old stock or something ?? now if you try to insure you got a fresh new battery and it don't last ????? maybe google around your board to see if anyone else has reported that issues with theres ??

jompz34

Reputable
Jun 7, 2014

Okay i don't have the battery package left so i don't know if its old stock. This problem started yesterday and it started after i put in some more RAM so maybe i touched the cmos battery or something?

Also the first cmos battery that was with this moterboard lasted maybe 7 months berfore replacing to this wich have lasted 1 year

don't know ?? unless something with the board or hardware [like you said the hard drive needs it to keep the time and all on it when computer is off ] shorting and causing a hard drain on the battery some way ??

may google what runs on the battery when the computer is off and get a idea on what does ?? off hand its a head scratcher --

some motherboard sit in stock for a long time before sold and that may be part of the first battery going down fast or may of gotten near dead ??

all you can do is research this and see how the new battery lasts ? but seems to me I don't guess I ever had to replace one on my stuff.

when the battery goes dead your boards bios should be reseting to default each time you start the computer as well ?? cause its the battery that keeps the settings you entered in it ..

if its just the hard drive loosing its time I would check the sata cables cause that feeds the power to the drive and I have seen that ..

Solution