[SOLVED] CMOS Battery Dying? Nope, PSU failing.

TsukiZero

Commendable
Aug 19, 2020
So, here's a thing I've been noticing lately: If I unplug the computer to prevent damage from storms (sheer paranoia), when I unplug it back on the PC won't turn on. The mouse's LED will blink every second and the (external) speakers will emit a low "pop" at the same rhythm, and nothing will work until I open the case, clear the CMOS with the jumper, and turn it back on. At that point, it works as if nothing happened, everything functions as it should.

For reference, the MB is a ASRock N68-GS4 FX R2.0, likely 5+ years old, which means according to my searches that the CMOS Battery has reached or is reaching the end of its lifetime and needs to be changed.

Solution
OK, I have concluded it is NOT the CMOS, and the result of the experiment was a fluke.

What I concluded now it that the PSU is dying off (or rather: its capacitors), because I went out to buy a new PSU and headed out, then when I came back the PC was fully on.

Confirmed: this PSU is as good as dead.
Apr 13, 2022
You can't charge the battery, you have to replace it. If your computer time is a bit off ( assuming you have turned off time sync with the net) when you unplug you pc completely and when plugged in again, then it is the CMOS battery dying. Well, it is worth a shot though as the battery should be replaced by now. So try replacing the battery.
Hope this HELPED!!!

Reactions: TsukiZero

TsukiZero

Commendable
Aug 19, 2020
OK, I have concluded it is NOT the CMOS, and the result of the experiment was a fluke.

What I concluded now it that the PSU is dying off (or rather: its capacitors), because I went out to buy a new PSU and headed out, then when I came back the PC was fully on.

Confirmed: this PSU is as good as dead.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS