CMOS Battery for Inspiron 3000

Help! Does anyone know where the CMOS battery is located on a Dell
Inspiron 3000 laptop ? Don't tell me to go to Dell's site, since they
don't seem to know either......

Thanks

Tim

<tdacox@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Help! Does anyone know where the CMOS battery is located on a Dell
> Inspiron 3000 laptop ? Don't tell me to go to Dell's site, since they
> don't seem to know either......
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

Tim, this is for the I8000, maybe it will help.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/plav/sm/remove.htm#1051569

I'm still looking thru the Dell forums, if I find instuctions for your 3000,
will post URL.

HTH

Louie
Chiefland, FL, USA

Thanks a lot for your help Louie! I'm starting to wonder if this is
'fixable'.

Who in their right mind would design a piece of hardware that is
garbage after it's tiny little battery wears out? Just a dumb idea
IMHO. Surely the word 'battery' as the concept of 'replaceable' built
right into the word itself!

Tim

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&
> message.id=34085&query.id=246939#M34085

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&
> message.id=55790&query.id=247023#M55790

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&
> message.id=34086&query.id=247054#M34086
>
> *but*, the forums suggest you can get a new battery thru Dell parts.
>
> Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe someone else has a clue?
<g>

> Louie
> Chiefland, FL, USA

"Louie" <louie@spammenot.com> wrote in message
> <tdacox@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Help! Does anyone know where the CMOS battery is located on a Dell
> > Inspiron 3000 laptop ? Don't tell me to go to Dell's site, since they
> > don't seem to know either......
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Tim
> >

> Tim, this is for the I8000, maybe it will help.
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/plav/sm/remove.htm#1051569
>
> I'm still looking thru the Dell forums, if I find instuctions for your
3000,
> will post URL.

Tim, everything I see indicates the CMOS battery isn't user replaceable
(soldered in):
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&
message.id=34085&query.id=246939#M34085

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&
message.id=55790&query.id=247023#M55790

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_general&
message.id=34086&query.id=247054#M34086

*but*, the forums suggest you can get a new battery thru Dell parts.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe someone else has a clue? <g>

Louie
Chiefland, FL, USA

norbie

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Although, it seems that this is an old hat and was posted initially in 2005, I thought I am going to throw in my 2 cents.
The CMOS battery for the Inspiron 3000 is located behind the PS2 Keyboard/Mouse connector, inaccessible from the outside. In order to replace it, one must posses soldering and mechanical skills.
The battery itself is a Lithium type Button cell at 3V. A 1016, 1025 or 1220 cell will work for some time. There is virtually no room to install a battery with higher capacity.
The only perhaps useful modification might be a couple of wires routed underneath the LCD indicator to gain easier access for future replacements since one would only remove the LCD indicator board. There is some room under the LCD that may allow a larger capacity Lithium Cell of type 2032 or (2450 may already gets tight) The last mentioned cells have a higher capacity of 32mAh in a 20mm round case and 50mAh in a 24mm Diameter case.
In any case the Inspiron 3000 must be almost completely disassembled to gain access to the battery. If you don't feel comfortable with disassembling the Inspiron 3000, I would leave my fingers off.
If you feel ready, just get the elsewhere mentioned Service Manuals and go ahead with the dismantling.
Anything you do is entirely at your own risk!

I believe that Dell simply opted to not provide any information about the Battery, since the computer must be almost completely taken apart.

Hope this info helps!