Question CMOS battery removal and replacement caused beep code for CMOS battery issue, can't figure this out.

gnat_da_gnat

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
On a Dell Inspiron 7250 laptop - has had an issue booting that as far as I can tell is not hardware, at least not at root; there is no indication it would be. I thought to clear the CMOS just in case it somehow got it out of this boot loop it's in, just as a simple quick thing to check off for troubleshooting. However, after removing and replacing the CMOS battery (which involves disassembling the laptop quite a lot) it will no longer post and gives 5 beeps, which on Dell mobos is apparently for CMOS battery issue. I have since removed and replaced it a few more times, visually inspected the battery and slot, and I can't figure out what's going on here.

Any ideas? Thank you very much in advance.

gnat_da_gnat

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
I put the battery to my tongue; it has a voltage. Then I put one in from a different machine, and I STILL got the no post and beep code. This is very troubling to me because it means there is an issue that is not the battery itself, and I don't have any knowledge to find out what the deal is. Any help is appreciated.