Question CMOS battery replacement for Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming

Vesnog

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Hello,

I own a Dell gaming laptop and the computer clock lags the local time sometimes. Therefore I decided to replace the CMOS battery, but I am not sure how to disconnect the battery from the motherboard and do not think it is a good idea to force the two wire connector. I tried disconnecting it while squeezing with a tweezer etc. but failed. There is no information on how to disconnect it in the service manual either. Furthermore, the battery is inside insulating casing possibly with cable leads for the positive and negative on each side.

How can I remove the connector and is this battery casing reusable? Please see the picture for an image.

There is an EASIER software way to deal with this.

U can schedule a task to go out to the Internet, grab the actual time from the many "atomic" clocks out there (can't get more exact time than that!) and update your PC clock with it, say once a day or less often, whatever works for you.

Under Windows' clock, there is an Internet Time TAB where u can set this up.

Now this used to be broke on Win7 but try it on W10, it doesn't work, I have even a better (software) method.

Vesnog

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Okay thanks for the suggestion I already have the setting Synchronize with and Internet time server selected and the server is time.windows.com . However, it still seems to confuse the offset from the GMT value and I saw battery low records in the BIOS logs.

I take it that you do not recommend to remove and replace it, am I right? I think the battery has to be replaced to retain BIOS settings too, but probably it is not that convenient to replace this type of CMOS battery.

Clock off may not necessary signal a bad battery, but OK if BIOS complaint, go ahead and replace it.

At first glance u remove the whole thing from the white connector, but I can't guarantee u that connector is removable or maybe soldered on. The wires themselves are soldered on the battery. So either you find a exact replacement, or may have to do some soldering on your own. Not convenient at all.

Last edited:

Vesnog

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
So I guess I should buy the complete unit battery/casing/wires/connector from the internet possibly. I bought two coin cells, yet I won't bother with soldering them. Do you have a recommendation on how to remove them by the way?

Soldering a battery is tricky..the heat can potentially cause the battery to explode!
I think you want to replace the entire thing - battery/casing/wires/connector - as a one piece unit.
That's what I thought, common sense anyway right.

But after watching Mr. Carlson's Lab on utube, he obviously knows what he's doing, one of his videos he shows a way to do this, solder then immediately put a damp towel on it to cool it down, says he's been doing this for ages and fine. I believe him.

Of course if u never done soldering before...